Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 19:36   #31

Re: Volvo MD2030 Engine Failure - Lack of Support

I used to have a Volvo automotive diesel, and when I needed parts the man behind the counter at Volvo whispered Go down the street to the Volkswagon dealer and get the parts at 1/3 our cost. It turned out that the Volvo auto diesel was a Volkwagon truck engine. I suspect that the newer Volvo Marine engines are made by some common diesel manufacturer and parts dont need to be nearly as expensive as buying from a marine dealer. It is worth looking into it._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 19:46   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan
I used to have a Volvo automotive diesel, and when I needed parts the man behind the counter at Volvo whispered Go down the street to the Volkswagon dealer and get the parts at 1/3 our cost. It turned out that the Volvo auto diesel was a Volkwagon truck engine. I suspect that the newer Volvo Marine engines are made by some common diesel manufacturer and parts dont need to be nearly as expensive as buying from a marine dealer. It is worth looking into it._____Grant.
That's very true. If I were on my computer instead of my phone, I could tell you the Japanese manufacturer, and which tractor companies use that motor.

I have an early 90's Perkins version of that motor.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 20:52   #33

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

Hi - I think you mentioned at the beginning of all of this that you had the insurance company surveryor look at the engine failure (?) and he agreed with the mechanic that it was a mechanical failure.

So if you are insured, just submit the claim and let the insurance carrier pay for the repairs or give you a cash settlement. They will deal with and recover from Volvo.

Your policy should cover a mechanical failure / hidden defect. Since it sounds more like a hidden defect, what the settlement is usually based on is you have to pay the cost of the failed part and the carrier covers the costs of all resultant damages/repairs.

If you own the vessel outright (no bank loan or note against it), you have the option of having it repaired or taking cash (so you then go buy your Yanmar). The carrier may let you keep the damaged engine/transmission or you may be able to buy it as salvage from them. You could then sell the usuable parts to help defray your repowering costs.

Best of luck!
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 21:32   #34

Boat: Delphia 40.2

Some time ago there was a thread running on Volvo's EVC engine management system and it's propensity to early failure. I simply want to add that I have had no end of problems with my six-year-old D2 55. The 'black box' failed early and having investigated the problem I concluded it resulted from circuit board failure caused by vibration. This - in my opinion - is because the wiring loom that exits from the box hangs putting weight on the terminal connections. Take the black box off the heat exhanger and put it on the sole and it works - bolt it back on the heat exchanger and it doesn't. Volvo has subsequently released no fewer than three upgrades to this unit - that in itself says something. Avoid EVC as an option where you can. If you can't have your engineer wire in a jog start independent of the EVC relay. It could - and likely will - save your day.
Delphia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
md2030, volvo