Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 18:23   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I have a customer that is going thru a similar problem....I am not going to mention the name of the engine...no sailboat will ever have it....but they say they have a three year corrosion protection warranty...The Failure occurered at the 37th month
and there were signs. i.e. CO detectors going off....the maker of the boat said it was due to aft deck door being open when engine was running....

The dealer says no way....the manufacturer says the will supply the part but won't even inspect the other engine or pay the labor.....the dealer says the boat has to be brought to them....they have numerous service vehicles....

He's taking them to court
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 18:25   #17
Eternal Member

BTW have you gone to a boat show?

I know aguy who had a Volvo Problem....went to the Sailboat Show in Atlantic City and voiced his concerns on the floor of the boat show....it takes cojones...but he got the fix.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:57   #18

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Preliminary Finding of Professional Engineer

I just received an e-mail from the PEng investigating my engine failure. He stated: " I have found conclusive evidence that the one nut was not sufficiently torqued."

He is still conducting additional testing and I am expecting his complete report before the end of next week. I will provide a more detailed update at that time.
The Vancouver Boat Show is coming early in the New Year. I may take your advise, armed with the Engineer's written report (if it comes to that).

Regards,
Tom
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 17:33   #19

Boat: samson c-mist 32
Well I must say that this thread, and others have made me question my decision to repower with a new volvo, its a bit late to reconcider now though. I just completed the installation of my new D2-40 and was very pleased to plug it in and have it start up right away with no troubles. I went with the volvo because I have a local dealer that I can trust and is also my merc. dealer. After the local Yanmar dealer gave me a $9000. bill to rebuild a 1976 YSG12, and we ended up in court, yanmar was not an option. When I went to the head Yanmar supplyer in B.C. they said it was between me and my dealer, and could do nothing for me. I was going to go with Kabota, and I hope I don't regret not, but again as I am in a small town in the north, no dealer, would have to travel to pick up the engine and no local rep. So I think having a good local rep that you can trust is important in your choice. As was said, all engines are put together by humans, and unfortunately these mistakes are paid for by a consumer down the road. It would be nice if these big companys would step up and help the little guy out when its proved that it was there mistake. Best of luck, and I'm hoping that I won't be adding to the rants against volvo in the years to come.
emeraldsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 11:30   #20

Report of PEng and Question for you

I now have the complete report from the Professional Engineer (metallurgical) who examined my engine failure to determine cause.
Basically he examined the entire lower end of the engine and took several photos. He found no evidence of oil starvation or other problems. All bearings, except the one that was damaged, were in good condition. He took two piston assemblies to his "shop" for closer study. Using a high powered microscope, he discovered that the one nut that had "come undone" had not been torqued properly to manufacturer's specifications. Apparently, when a nut is torqued, it does microscopic "damage" to the mating surface (in this case, the con rod cap). This "damage" was evident (and consistent) on 3 of the 4 nuts and mating surfaces that he examined. Where the nut that failed was concerned, the "damage" was significantly less. To examine this, he first had to remove the "baked on oil" that was on the mating surface where the nut would have been (if it had not backed off prior to the heat being developed) He estimates that the applied torque to the failed nut was approximately half of the manufacturer's specified torque that was applied to the other nuts examined. He explained that manufacturer's specs for torque are calculated to include a "safety factor" to exceed the various expected loads. In this case, he feels that the torque applied to the failed connection was just adequate (or slightly beyond) to hold, and hence it took this relatively long time for the connection to fail (because of little or no "safety factor").

His conclusions are as follows (and I quote):
"1) Failure of the subject Volvo MD2030D engine occurred when one of the connecting rod to rod cap nuts backed off.
2) Backing off of the nut allowed the connecting rod and rod cap to slap the crankshaft journal, thus causing significant heat and bearing shell damage and the "rattling sound" that was heard prior to engine shutdown.
3) Backing off of the connecting rod nut occurred due to insufficient torque of the nut.
4) With consideration to the reported information, which did not include service history involving the connecting rods, the insufficient torque occurred during original assembly of the engine."

Obviously this failure is due to a manufacturing defect.
My question is: should I try to contact Volvo Canada again (third time) to give them this new information and another chance to "make good", or should I just file for court?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this and for your advise,
Tom
Emeraldsea:
I agree with your logic. However, be aware that this summer, I found out when my fresh water pump pulley failed, that the local Volvo rep in Campbell River (100 miles north of Vancouver BC near Desolation Sound) will not service sailboats! Now there is complete customer/product service! Luckily I was able to find a very good mechanic (Carmac Diesel) who would.
Anyway, I agree about human error (in my case that is what happened) and I hope that both you and I will get many trouble free years out of our engines.
Tom
Old 17-10-2008, 11:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehoser75 View Post
I now have the complete report from the Professional Engineer (metallurgical) who examined my engine failure to determine cause.

-----------------

Obviously this failure is due to a manufacturing defect.
My question is: should I try to contact Volvo Canada again (third time) to give them this new information and another chance to "make good", or should I just file for court?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this and for your advise,
Tom
Now that you are armed with a sign document from a Registered PE. I think it's only professional to allow VP-Canada another response to the claim.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 17:13   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
So did you put it to Volvo Canada again, and what was the outcome?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 18:14   #23

Update - But not Final One

The engine has been rebuilt and is back in the boat. While everything was apart (and engine was out of the boat), I decided to have some additional maintenance done. I had the injectors rebuilt, as they were out of the engine anyway, I replaced the exhaust elbow, and I had them install a new hull water seal for the saildrive, as it was past the halfway point of it's service life. The saildrive had to be removed from the boat for this seal replacement. It never ends! Now, when the engine is at idle or low RPM, whether in gear or out, it sounds like the saildrive is vibrating or rattling (somewhat). It seems to be worse once everything has warmed up. The mechanic is going back to the boat next week to investigate.

Back to the original situation. I initiated a claim through my insurance under the hull and machinery component. To my surprise, they told me that at least part of the repair would be covered. They do not cover for defects in materials or workmanship, but they do cover the consequential damage from such a failure.
As suggested by other Forum members, I did contact Volvo Canada with the info provided by the PEng. After reviewing his report, they wanted to actually examine the parts from my engine. I did not trust them with the parts, so their rep came to my house to see them. He still seemed somewhat skeptical as to how this took so long to fail in this manner, but now he did make an offer. At first he said that he didn't want me to go through insurance, as he was worried the insurance company would subrogate or sue in court. I told him I was fine with that, as long as they covered my expenses (at least as well as the insurance would have). He said he understood that. Then, later, he made me an offer to settle that didn't even cover the cost of parts, but at least it was an offer. I declined. He then immediately said: " Put it through insurance, and we will pay for what they don't cover." I told him that I could not speak for or make any promises on behalf of my insurance company, (and I found the about face confusing to say the least - I didn't say the last part).
So, I have put the claim to the insurance company and told them about Volvo's offer. The insurance company asked me not to contact Volvo again until they (insurance) decide what they are going to do. I am currently waiting to hear what part of the invoice insurance will cover and if they will let me deal with Volvo to "recover what insurance does not cover".
As an aside, Volvo would not put any of this in writing, so that worries me a bit, and the insurance company may tell me they want to sue Volvo and don't want me to deal with them.
I will update again as things finalize. At least Volvo has made some sort of an offer. That is definitely an improvement.
Thanks to everyone for reading about this and for all of your comments and help,

Tom
Old 14-12-2008, 19:22   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Keep at it and best of luck.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 14:20   #25

Final Report - Good News

My engine has been almost totally rebuilt, and now has about 10 hours on it since the rebuild. All appears well, except at first, there was a small "rattle" that now seems gone. I hope that it was just something "working itself in". Anyway my mechanic has heard it before it went away and is therefore aware of it. Unfortunately the engine won't get much use for the next few months.

How did all of my various dealings (financial) work out you may ask? Well both my insurance company and Volvo Penta Canada came through in the end. All of my expenses associated with the engine and rebuild have been covered. I am quite happy with both my Insurance and Volvo and the final outcome.

Thanks for reading about my "adventures",
Tom
Old 16-01-2009, 14:29   #26

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Great to hear that.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 14:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehoser75 View Post
All of my expenses associated with the engine and rebuild have been covered. I am quite happy with both my Insurance and Volvo and the final outcome.

Thanks for reading about my "adventures",
Tom
best news ever
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 00:08   #28
Eternal Member

Whew!!!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 16:27   #29

Re: Volvo MD2030 Engine Failure - Lack of Support

Firehoser, your story is giving me a very bad feeling. A week ago was sailing just off Johnston strait when MD2030 suddenly quit with a horrible clunking sound. Not particularly overheated, oil, water filter, and coolant all fine, about 1800 hours on eng. Sailed in to Kelsey Bay and had to get towed to Campbell River; strong currents and no wind. There it sits awaiting an autopsy. Yours is an older posting, but if you know anything I should I would be grateful for anything. Of course, they don't make MD2030s any more so . . . it gets complicated. And, of course, there's insurance.
Pasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 19:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasley
Firehoser, your story is giving me a very bad feeling. A week ago was sailing just off Johnston strait when MD2030 suddenly quit with a horrible clunking sound. Not particularly overheated, oil, water filter, and coolant all fine, about 1800 hours on eng. Sailed in to Kelsey Bay and had to get towed to Campbell River; strong currents and no wind. There it sits awaiting an autopsy. Yours is an older posting, but if you know anything I should I would be grateful for anything. Of course, they don't make MD2030s any more so . . . it gets complicated. And, of course, there's insurance.
Volvo never did make the MD2030, but the original Japanese manufacturer is still making it. It's a marinized tractor motor. It's also the same as the Perkins Perama M30. Google around and you'll find all the parts you need.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
md2030, volvo