Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2010, 02:18   #16

Boat: Westerly Chieftain
Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
John, Richard,

The intro to that says that the distinguishing feature of the MSB is the lined cones on the gears. In the details it suggest that the forward gear cone can be relined but the reverse can't ??
Thanks again

Steven
You live and learn!

What you might like to try is to register and login to the forum Yachting and Boating World - Sailing and motor boats for sale, forums, news | ybw
and make it known there you are looking for these parts also go to Yahoo groups and join the Westerly group and ask there. Someone will have one of these boxes in his garage.

Westerly-Owners : Westerly Owners Group

It is possible that the linings are easily replaced by a lining expert as so many are confirming the job done.

Unfortunately I don t have an MSB in my garage.

Another long shot is to email the folk below...They do re engining and may have something they also do repairs so could possibly advise on the re lining and or sell the bits.

Volvo Penta Marine Engineers
Bilgediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 06:21   #17

Boat: Westerly Centaur Ketch ENHYDRA
Richard, Can you tell me more about the re-lining? The manual is quite contradictory on this. Page 3, Front Housing MSB - "if the lining is damaged the entire gear must be replaced. Separate friction linings are available in stock" ?? Page 4, Intermediate Housing MSB - "No friction linings are stocked separately so that the gear wheel must be replaced together with the lining." ?? I have been unable to find any references to the liners in any of the parts listings and the gears are no longer available.
I have the unit partially disassembled at this point and the lining is completely gone for the forward gear. Several major chunks of the lining along with all(?) of the debris has been removed. The rear gear lining appears to be in reasonable shape. Were you able to locate inserts to bond in or did you have access to some type of specialty fabricator to do this. As a last resort I can imagine trying to cut, form and bond some suitable material in place using "JB Weld" or a similar product.
Thanks

Steven
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 13:20   #18

Boat: Westerly Centaur Ketch ENHYDRA
John, Thanks for the suggestions. I have been lurking on the Westerly group for a number of years but I hadn't made the connection yet to look and inquire there. I have checked both WOG and YBW at this point with nothing of substance is in the archives. I'll start a new thread in each and see what develops. Thanks again.
Steven
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 19:10   #19

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Steven, if you can find a good brake lining place that does varied industrial work, they should be able to shape and bond the correct grade of friction material for your cones. That is how we got it done. I would not try to DIY it as it is pretty heavily stressed and shockloaded. Also , the correct thickness is important, as this has an effect on engagement.
Good luck with Volvo, I had no joy from them at all.
Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 10:05   #20

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Steven,

Sorry about the slow reply -- I was on vacation. Not sailing, but still, not at work! Anyway, I had some success with my MSB over the winter. I pulled the drain out of the bottom and allowed a thorough drain of all liquids. I then put in clean oil. With regard to my leaking, I was able to discern that my problem was the plug on the back of the output shaft. I could barely separate the drive coupling, but I was able to fabricate a custom chain wrench (not enough room for a standard chain wrench) and tighten it down. With too many projects and not enough time, I've only been able to put about 4 hours on the engine this year, but so far I have no leaking oil and no milky oil. Life looks GOOD!

With regard to your questions, I haven't needed to remove the tranny yet, so I have no idea what is in there.

I did see, reading on through the messages, that you have a manual for the tranny! Is there any chance you could scan it and share it? They are scarce as hen's teeth.

Good luck,

Harry
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 18:03   #21

Re: Volvo MD11C Transmission Problems

Does that circlip look like this?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1120407
greyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 19:34   #22

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

As I am the OP, I thought I'd follow up on my original question. As noted a couple years ago, I did a complete drain using the drain plug on the bottom of the tranny, then refilled. I also was able to tighten the plug on the back, which is my suspected failure. To date, my engine oil has not shown a trace of milkiness, and has not leaked any more oil out the shaft.

I have written this one off as "solved."

Harry
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 22:59   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
If your box is a cone type it will have a double ended male conical piece which is threaded onto a helical shaft. At either end of this shaft are fixed female cones. The idea is that when you engage the male cone with one of the female cones, the torque screws it in tightly and transmits the drive. One for fwd and one for reverse. Problems arise if you use an oil that is too slippery, or if the friction material that is bonded to the female cones wears. (early ones were just metal to metal) Also I found that the small circlip that takes the reverse thrust is too light and can pop off, leaving you with no gears at all. Regards, Richard.
Hi just wondering where you got the cone relined please?
greyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 23:17   #24

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

It was a long time ago but from memory a Volvo dealer in Sydney Australia maybe Qintano or something like that. They would have sent it out to a brake shop.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo