Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2015, 16:40   #1

Volvo MD 7/A Waterflow

Greetings - This is my first post, though I read this forum quite a bit. I know this issue has been addressed elsewhere here, but I haven't quite found what I seek, I guess.

I have a 1980 Sabre 28 w/which I bump around MidCoast Maine. It has a raw water cooled Volvo Md 7/A . I bought it 4 years ago and it has been relatively hassle-free. I love it. Anyway, the waterflow out the exhaust isn't what it should be. Additionally, the Temp Gauge will jump up if I run it full throttle too long, but quickly settles to normal when I ease it back. From a usage standpoint, this really hasn't been much of a problem, I just don't run full, or close to full throttle often and I've managed. My buddy is a marine Engineer and he says it could run that way for the next 10 years w/out issue provided I keep an eye on it.

Anyway - I Winter and Service the boat at a nearby Shipyard that I like thus far. They have told me that these engines essentially rot (rust) from the inside out and outright engine failure is inevitable, but measures can be taken to prolong it's life. I guess I agree, I'm not mechanical but am sloooowly learning a bit via this engine. Below is an email from the yard, I'd be most appreciative if some of the mechanically inclined folks here could share your thoughts. Thanks much - Chris (I've changed the names to protect the innocent)

On the engine, I met with Joe, our diesel mechanic on the engine. Last year we did the following to help with the cooling situation.
1. We removed the elbow and cleaned it. It was in pretty good shape.

2. We removed the thermostat and its housing. The housing was filled with rust and sediment which we cleaned.

3. We replaced the thermostat.

Joe and I discussed trying a radiator cleaner (ex: Rydlyme) on the engine. He recommends against it. Loose sediment dislodged by the harsh cleaner may cause clogging down the line.
He recommends a thorough flushing it with fresh water and then running non-tox antifreeze through it. This is leaves the engine clean and protected for the winter. Remember that this is an old saltwater cooled engine. It’s life-expectancy is limited. There is nothing we can do to reverse that, but the right measures might slow down its internal deterioration.
On the exhaust manifold, if we can free up the bolds to remove it, it might benefit from an acid bath. BUT, as with any rusted bolt, you run the risk of snapping it off. If one were to break in the wrong place, we might have to remove the engine to repair it. I’ll have Joe look at it and see what he thinks.
Guess that’s it. Mike
Chris175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 17:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Volvo MD 7/A Waterflow

I'm another MD-7A piker. I have one in the boat and one in the basement.

I don't see anything wrong with their email.

Being basically lazy I would try running it with the new thermostat to see if changing the stat helped at all.

The cooling systems are a bit of a cludge. The pump, exhaust manifold, and stat has these weird slip in fittings.

When I got my boat the engine had just been rebuilt, which was fine, but they skimped putting some things back together. It took me a very long time to get all the kinks out. For a long time the engine would overheat every once In a while. Drove me nuts.

So it turned out the problem was they used silicon on the transmission fitting instead of a compressible copper washer, and once in a while it would suck air. The temp would shoot right up.

Once I got that the engine has been good, although it is now running cool. Go figure.

I have had the exhaust manifold off on both engines, no problem. If you DO take it off, replace the fuel line banjo fitting while you are there. Or at least modify it so that you can disconnect and replace the hose should you need to. Otherwise you need to remove the manifold to change the hose.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 18:04   #3

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Volvo Penta Schematic Part Diagrams

Exploded parts view. / Len
Old 15-01-2015, 08:17   #4

I have to agree with the yard about removing the manifold. I pulled the manifold from my spare parts engine, and broke 2 bolts off. It wont be a difficult fix on the shop bench, but would be very difficult in the boat. Just my 2 cents worth. _________Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 19:18   #5

If the engine has an MS or MSB transmission, check that the transmission cooling water jacket is clear.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 14:00   #6

Boat: Sabre 28

Hi Chris,

I have a 1980 Sabre 28 with Volvo MD-7A as well, bought it this summer. The Volvo has kept things interesting and quite the learning experience. The injector pump died while bringing the boat home. In the process of replacing that injector pump I also rebuilt the water pump as it was showing a lot of wear and had a bad seal causing leakage.

By the end of the season I was measuring hot spots on the exhaust manifold and head. From reading a bunch of material this is apparently a common problem. What happens is salt and other gunk build up in the water channels and that reduces flow and causes overheating. Removing the exhaust manifold and cleaning out the passageways is apparently the best course of action for this.

In this thread

Volvo MD7A Overheating Solved? - SailNet Community

You can see some pictures of what this looks like.

Cleaning out the water pump hard lines and the passage through the transmission is a good idea as well.

I am going to be pulling the exhaust manifold and cleaning it and the head out as much as I can. I'm then planning on putting it back together and flushing a bunch of citric acid through the system to try and clean it out further. After that I am planning on converting to fresh water cooling to try and avoid this in the future and to hopefully prolong the life of the Volvo.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 06:10   #7

Hello again all - Its been awhile since I've logged in, and I am once again tapping the smart folks here. My MD 7/A is cooked. I have a line on a 14HP Westerbeke, though I have no specs as of yet. All I know is "it was running perfectly when I took it out". I plan to check it out in person this weekend.

Question: what exact measurements do I need from my 1980 Sabre 28, to have an indication as to whether this Westerbeke may be suitable replacement?

Any assistance/guidance is greatly appreciated!! Thanks! Chris
Old 26-03-2018, 07:19   #8

At first glance it seems that this could be a compatible swap, but there are a few things to check, and you need to get dimension drawings for both engines to make the comparisons...

Here are a few things to start with:
Westerbeke. Volvo
-Power- 13.5 hp. 13 hp
-RPM- 3000 2600
-Reduction ratio- 2:1. 1.91:1
-Shaft RPM- 1500 1361
-Shaft rotation- Right hand. Left hand
-Engine bed
Centerline distance- 15" 14"
-Distance, shaft to
top of engine- 17.2" 16.9"

So you can see that you might need to:
-widen the engine beds 1/2" per side
- change prop from LH to RH and maybe up an inch of pitch
- probably change the engine bed heights....can't tell without knowing what flex mounts both engine have
- exhaust sizes might need to be changed
- vertical clearance looks good
- etc....

Hope this gives you a place to start.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:45   #9

Thank you Doug! Much appreciated. Chris
Old 26-03-2018, 15:44   #10

Boat: Sabre 28

As an alternate for a 1980 Sabre 28 (same as my boat) consider just pulling the inboard all together and going with an outboard. I did that two seasons ago when the MD7As high pressure fuel pump died yet again.

I put a Suzuki 9.9BTX on my Sabre and it has been fantastic. It is the same block as the 20hp so it has more low end torque, big 10" 4 blade high thrust prop and 25" shaft gets it deep in the water. The Suzuki drives the boat better than the Volvo did, dramatically easier maintenance, quieter, electronic fuel injection, way more storage after the engine and tank is pulled out, reliable, and the boat sails better too as the power tilt gets the engine completely out of the water when sailing. I removed the strut and glassed over the prop shaft hole.

https://flic.kr/p/JFca8H

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo, water