Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2018, 03:59   #1

Volvo MD 22L will not accelerate anymore

I do have 2 Volvo Penta MD 22L engines in my sailboat. They both do have same problem:
The engines do start without any problem. I can run them for hours without any problem but if I would bring back the throttle to neutral and than do try to accelerate again (backwards or forwards) the transmission (PRM Delta) is engaging (the shaft is turning slowly) but the motor is not reacting but remains running stationair(quite regular though) as if the throttle would still be in neutral position.
This problem starts to occur only after 2 hours of running; if I let the engine rest a while/cool down (having it neutral is already sufficient) the engine would engage again as normal (but after a limited period of time the same problem will occur). Strangely enough, if the problem occurs and I dis-engage the transmission the motor will accelerate without any delay.
The engines are 2 stand-alone machines that have their own filters, tubing etc) except for the diesel tank (approx. 700 liter). Filters have been renewed; tubing have been blown through.
Any ideas on what could cause this problem are very welcome

K.R.
Eddy
edventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 00:45   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Volvo MD 22L will not accelerate anymore

I can't help you with your engine problem but I have responded so that you will see this thread again in your new post tab. Reference to your other thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-201345.html
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 02:00   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Have you tried disconnecting the throttle linkage (Morse cable) from the engine when this occurs, then place the gear selector in gear and increasing the throttle on the engine?

Your problem sounds more like a bad engine control rather than a bad engine
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 02:21   #4

Many thanks. I will give it a try.
But do you have thoughts that it occurs to both engines at same time and only after that the engines has run for approx. 2 hours or more.
Old 17-05-2018, 02:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edventure View Post
Many thanks. I will give it a try.
But do you have thoughts that it occurs to both engines at same time and only after that the engines has run for approx. 2 hours or more.

Ahhh, sorry for some reason I read one engine.

Do both engines pull from the same fuel tank? If yes, is the vent clear for the tank?
Old 17-05-2018, 03:32   #6

I am not sure if the vent is open but it is a 700 li tank which not more than 50% full at max. Could a blocked vent with such a large tank still cause this issue?
I do know that at a certain point in time I have run the engines with an open tank top (but I do not recall if this was when the problems occurred). I will give it an other try.
Old 17-05-2018, 03:56   #7

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Gotta be a blocked tank vent which eventually sets up a vacuum, or debris intermittently blocking the fuel pickup.
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 04:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edventure View Post
I am not sure if the vent is open but it is a 700 li tank which not more than 50% full at max. Could a blocked vent with such a large tank still cause this issue?
I do know that at a certain point in time I have run the engines with an open tank top (but I do not recall if this was when the problems occurred). I will give it an other try.

Of course it can. The larger the tank is the longer it takes to create a vacuum, but air is still needed to replace the fuel that has been consumed
Old 17-05-2018, 05:20   #9

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Easy to check: next time you use engine leave filler cap off. If problem is over, cause is ventline, otherwise continu investigating the other possibilities.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote