Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2017, 06:24   #1

Boat: Catana 471
Volvo MD-22/Perkins M50 extra alternator bracket

Hi all - I have two Volvo MD-22 L-A diesels on my cat with extra alternators mounted on a bracket integral with the right forward motor mount. The brackets attach to the engines like the standard mounting brackets, then attach to the engine bed motor mounts with the alt attachment as an extension. These engines are (generally) the same as Perkins Prima M50.

I need to replace one of these brackets but cannot find any information on them from either Volvo or Perkins sources. I am concluding that these may have been custom made, but hope I'm wrong and somebody else here has some knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 07:33   #2

Re: Volvo MD-22/Perkins M50 extra alternator bracket

As you know the standard alternator for the MD 22 was mounted on the port side of the engine, and as I recall there were two options for extra alternator mounting, one on the top of the engine above the valve cover and one on the Stb. side.

The attached pages show the Stb. side extra bracket and it is found in the parts book for the MD 22B engines. It will probably fit the A engines as well, but I cant guarantee it.....

Hope this helps.
DougR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0033.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	148621   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0034.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	148622  

DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 07:57   #3

Thanks Doug - I'll look in to this option to see if it can work for me. My extra alts are hi output (Mastervolt 130 amp) , driven by two belts each from the crank. This kit shows a 12V 60 amp alt, which would be a lot smaller in size/weight, although I could re-use my existing the two-belt pulley on the crank.

Anyone else?

Dave
Old 29-05-2017, 07:59   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Should be pretty simple and cheap to take the bracket to a fabrication shop and have one duplicated.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 08:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Should be pretty simple and cheap to take the bracket to a fabrication shop and have one duplicated.
Yes, if it turns out these were custom made, that's my solution, although not necessarily cheap. I do have an intact bracket on the other engine that could be used as a template. The one in question broke off outboard of the motor bed mount, I suspect due to fatigue failure of the heavy alt hanging out there on an under-supported cantilever. On either a new-found replacement or on a new fabrication I intend to beef up the cantilever section, including on the intact bracket on the other engine.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 29-05-2017, 11:13   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 13:11   #7

Boat: GibSea 472

My onw MD22L is equiped with a second alternator, installed on top of the engine head. The Belt goes from the crankshaft pulley directtly to the alternator. The belt is a bit long, but everything is functional. The bracket that hold the alternator, seems to be a custom fabrication, very sturdy, and is bolted over the head, and attached with 4 bolts onto the valve cover. I had to transform it a bit to be able to insert the camshaft drift necessairy when replacing the camshaft belt.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 13:31   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

What normally happens is a sort of frequency fatigue where the steel is vibrating as the engine runs. It's like taking a thin piece of metal in your hands and bending it back and forth until it fatigues. Making the metal thicker is one way of rectifying the problem but a better way is gusseting the perimeter of the bracket.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 14:31   #9

Boat: Oyster 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
I need to replace one of these brackets but cannot find any information on them from either Volvo or Perkins sources. I am concluding that these may have been custom made, but hope I'm wrong and somebody else here has some knowledge.
Dave
Hi 2Hulls, i am looking for the same part, since i wand to add extra alternator. Solution suggested by DougR is extremly expensive, the bracket mounted to the engine costs 500+ €, then pulleys etc...

I would be interested to get the details - photo and dimensions of the part..
s57ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 16:54   #10

Quote:
Making the metal thicker is one way of rectifying the problem but a better way is gusseting the perimeter of the bracket.
Exactly, or gusseting down the center. If I end up fabricating new brackets I'll add some method of increasing the resistance to bending moment with gussets and/or increasing the thickness of the cantilever.

s57ra - I'd be happy to share whatever ends up being my solution. I'm on the hard now for the summer months, so it won't necessarily be quick....

Dave
Old 17-03-2024, 00:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Exactly, or gusseting down the center. If I end up fabricating new brackets I'll add some method of increasing the resistance to bending moment with gussets and/or increasing the thickness of the cantilever.

s57ra - I'd be happy to share whatever ends up being my solution. I'm on the hard now for the summer months, so it won't necessarily be quick....

Dave
2Hulls, did you ever get that bracket installed? If so are you still willing to share? I'm just about to embark on a two alternator solution on my MD22 Volvo.
Larsmate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, perkins, volvo