Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 14:57   #1

Boat: Pearson 323 32
Volvo MD 11 C Water Pump Leak

my fresh water pump housing leaks at engine interface. I sanded both faces with 800 grit. When I ordered gasket supplier sent an O ring which I installed still leaks.
fresh water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 15:14   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
re: Volvo MD 11 C Water Pump Leak

If the mating surfaces need work, don't mess with 800 grit. That is way to fine. Start out with 120. Everybody hates it but silicone works great. Get the gray stuff, it's the hardest.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 17:19   #3

Boat: Pearson 323 32
re: Volvo MD 11 C Water Pump Leak

thanks but I am worried about material coming loose and getting into engine. I have heard that a larger O ring might work
fresh water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 17:27   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Volvo MD 11 C Water Pump Leak

I use ferrari sealant (liquid gasket - red) seems to work fine.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 18:00   #5

You use an O ring, or sealant, but never both together. You should find out why the O ring is leaking. Damaged surfaces, distorted ones, O ring under insufficient compression?

Are you sure it's from the joint? Could be from somewhere else, and running down to there. The water pump shaft seal springs to mind.....

Hang on, does it require a gasket or an O ring? An O ring has a groove. If you don't have a groove, an O ring is not appropriate.

Sealant CAN work together with a gasket. Don't use silicone though, as bits can block passageways. The best is a non-setting gasket helper like Permatex 2 :

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/permat...DQJxoCQrTw_wcB
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 20:31   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

An oring with a thicker cross section might do the trick.

In an ideal world you shouldn't need or use sealant with orings. Problem is I've never been to this ideal world. A little judicious use of silicone won't hurt anything, and might solve the problem.

Volvo is notorious (in my experience) for using orings of insufficiently thick cross sections. When I rebuilt my TAMD41, I used OEM Volvo seals and my tappet covers, torqued to Volvo spec, leaked badly. Copper siliconed them and tightened to my intuitioned torque (tight enough) and they didn't leak anymore. The w/pump oring leaked too, I added a homemade gasket (and left the oring in place as well) and no sealer and stopped that too.

I assume that it is oil that is leaking?

You might check the crankcase pressure also. If it's too high it can cause oil leaks.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo, water