Originally Posted by DougR
Most likely, but not necessarily, the two impeller blades are located on the input side of the heat exchanger tube bundle.
You should remove the hose between the sea water pump and the heat exchanger inlet, and start by checking the outlet of the pump for any blade fragments which might be wedged there. Then check that nothing is jammed in the hose itself. Next, see if you can see or feel any blade fragments pressed against the tube ends in the heat exchanger bundle. Most likely you will have to remove the end cap on the rear of the heat exchanger to remove any fragments of impeller.
This should turn up most of the pieces of impeller, but unlikely as it seems, I have also seen pieces of impeller that have traveled into the hose feeding water into the pump and become lodged there. It's a good idea to check in that direction as well.
OK, removed hoses, no impeller pieces.
Stuck my finger in the heat exchange cover: nothing. This cover is impossible to remove as I cannot get the hex spanner to one of the bolts, I can hardly touch it with my finger, stupid design
I pushed an electrical
'snake' into the hoses and it was clear, except could not get into the intake seackoc because of a bend in the hose.
Closed the seackoc and removed the hose, opened the seackoc and water just tricled in from the saildrive
, even though the saildrive
intake is clean.
I pushed a wire in the hole, dislodged something and water gushed in.
Reassembled the lot and the water flows from the exhaust
and the small hole even at idle.
No more white smoke!!
I am on anchor
and not run the engine
under load, but I expect to be all fixed.
As for the impeller blades.... I wish them luck wherever they are...
I am going to install a small s/s strainer just after the raw water pump
, so in the future any bits of impeller will be caught there. I did the same already in my generator
BTW, I replace my impellers yearly and keep the old ones for emergency