Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 04:42   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Volvo 40 hp with sail drive and rubber gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I have a md2040 with a sail drive and where the sail drive goes through the hull there is a rubber gasket that fits tight to the drive and is glued to the hull. I'm not sure it's purpose except to make the water move smoothly along the hull. I have lost two of these items. Anyone have an idea what product I should use to glue it to the hull?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mark the surface of the hull in the area of the rubber gasket , clean this area down to clean gel-coat and grind it clean with 180 grade sandpaper. Clean the gasket surface with MEK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone (can be purchased where they repair dingy's) Use good quality contact glue to glue the gasket back. If done properly, this will last 10 Years.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 05:20   #17

Boat: Bavaria 34
Re: Volvo 40 hp with sail drive and rubber gasket

It´s only been in water now for a week, so fingers crossed that Sikaflex 291 really is an improvement since we are taking this boat across to the Caribbean this year. But for whatever it is worth, it really felt like it was easier to get a good and secure holding with the Sikaflex stuff. BTW, cleaned and rugged up the surfaces before gluing of course.
Lindberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, sail, volvo