Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2017, 15:02   #1

Volvo 2300T spare starter motor and alternator

Being the owner of a 1985 Volvo 2300T that only has 1400 hours on the clock and still runs very well - I thought it wise to source a spare starter motor and alternator. The Volvo database does not recognize my engines serial number as they do not go back that far. Emails to Volvo and various Volvo dealers have had no response. There are no obvious part numbers on either unit and I am at my wits end on sourcing these spares ( hopefully aftermarket equivalents) hopefully in Australia. Any ideas or information?
callaghans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 17:37   #2

Re: Volvo 2300T spare starter motor and alternator

Strange that VP dealers can't help you in Oz.

Try "Arcomarine.com" for alternator and maybe starter motor or "marinepartsexpress.com" which has parts book breakdowns for the 2000 series and they show both alternator and starter available.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 17:48   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

The starter is a Bosch part. Much cheaper from an auto parts store.
Old 13-12-2017, 18:14   #4

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

You sure it's not a 2003T?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 18:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Starter rebuilders often have an inventory of already rebuilt starters. Also look for a marine scrapper. If the engine was used in industrial of farming, try there. Many of the same starters are sometimes used in different engine brands.
There are some on ebay. A few from the UK if shipping is cheaper.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 19:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Maybe take both off and take them to an alternator/starter shop. They might even rebuild the ones you have for not too much money while you are at it although having spares is a good idea. They will be able to source you low-price replacements. Getting the starter out is a chore though. There is a lot of tubing that needs to be removed and replaced and the entire heat exchanger. Follow the procedure and the order of parts removal in the manual and buy all new sealing rings for every connections as they will likely not seal again when you put them back together. Have more spares for when/if you ever need to replace the starter with the spare on the water as well. They get hard rather quickly and will not reseal reliably. A leaky seal is the number one reason for losing the starter since it will leak right into it and destroy it in short order. It's an extremely poor design/layout.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 10:14   #7

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet

I have both available used in good condition. I am in the East coast USA.
kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 14:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by callaghans1 View Post
Being the owner of a 1985 Volvo 2300T that only has 1400 hours on the clock and still runs very well - I thought it wise to source a spare starter motor and alternator. The Volvo database does not recognize my engines serial number as they do not go back that far. Emails to Volvo and various Volvo dealers have had no response. There are no obvious part numbers on either unit and I am at my wits end on sourcing these spares ( hopefully aftermarket equivalents) hopefully in Australia. Any ideas or information?
Hi Callaghan
As someone else mentioned, engine is likely a 2003. I have an 18hp one that is the same age and still going well also.
Prior to heading off on our Kimberley cruise this year, we removed the starter and the alternator and took them to an auto-electrician for an overhaul. I thought that was a better alternative than having problems with them some dark and stormy night.
I also put a genuine Volvo kit through the sea water pump for cooling.
We put another 600hrs on the motor and apart from a few oil leaks it is going well.
Dave
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, motor, volvo