Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2012, 07:03   #1

Boat: Wauquiez centurion 36
Volvo 2040 headgasket

Hi

Help please !!

We are currently anchored in Mahon Menorca, we went to depart this morning but the engine wouldn't start or even turn over.

Checked batteries and usual stuff then realised the air filter was wet and dripping water. I have removed the inlet manifold and cylinder no 1 seems to be full of water.

I am guessing head gasket ??? do the heads on 2040's warp, can they be skimmed ? Is there any other possible explanation ?

Any advise gratefully received, we are currently safe, but a 30min dingy ride from town, anybody experience of engineers on Mahon or should I just mail order bits and fit myself ?

Many thanks

Mark
Thegoodshipmagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 08:33   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Volvo 2040 headgasket

Is it water or coolant?

If water it probably got in because your coolant water anti siphon valve is stuck and water filled up your exhaust system and backed into your cylinder. Clean the valve, drain the exhaust system and see if it will start before spending a lot of money on "what ifs".

If coolant then you are heading in the right direction.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 08:54   #3

Hey

Thanks for the quick response
Sorry for sounding dense, where would I locate the anti siphon valve?

Mark
Old 29-07-2012, 08:58   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Be very careful of hydrolock. If there is fluid in your cylinders either water or coolant the possibility of expensive damage is very real. To be sure the head needs to be pulled and the source of fluid found and corrected.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 08:58   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Should be a fairly small hose, one end of which runs to the raw water hose near the water injector.

May look something like this.

Vented loops and anti-siphon valves
Old 29-07-2012, 09:17   #6

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Don't turn your engine over if the cylinders are full of water as it is hydraulicked and will bend a con rod if you try and force it. If your anti syphon valve was the cause and you have fixed the fault, remove the injectors, spin the motor over on the starter until all the water is out of your cylinders, check the sump and if there's no water, replace the injectors and start the motor, if there's water in the sump, change the oil and filter before starting. Monitor the engine while in the marina, if all OK think of modifying the anti syphon to prevent it re-ocurring. Yes both the head and/or motor can be lightly skimmed. For Volvo parts cheaper than Volvo marine(gasket sets etc). try Volspec.co uk For future reference try and find what else your Volvo base engine is fitted too, maybe a small excavator,tractor or similar then look around for an independant parts supplier and you will find non marination parts much much cheaper
Hope this helps.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 09:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Don't turn your engine over if the cylinders are full of water as it is hydraulicked and will bend a con rod if you try and force it.
Yes of course, make sure all cylinders are clear of any water. I just reread my first post and realized I hadn't made that clear. Sorry, my bad.
Old 29-07-2012, 09:23   #8

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

DeepFrz, the beauty of this forum is that we're here to help each other my friend.
Good Luck.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 11:22   #9

Hi

No anti siphon in sight!!

The hose from the raw water pump disappears vertically into a void by the side of the engine bulkhead it then reappears and connects to the heat exchanger.

Is it likely the valve is at the top of this loop?

If so I need to get a new one and replumb as there is no access to this ?

Assuming this is the case how do I remove the water currently in the cylinders?
Old 29-07-2012, 11:41   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

It sounds as you found it. There must be some access. It is one of the parts that have to be serviced once in a while. Dismount, clean and make sure it works fine.

You can change the syphon valve into one that spits water out (e.g. to the cockpit. This makes some skippers less worried.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 08:46   #11

Guys

You are all super stars, the fault was obviously the anti siphon as I have drained all the water from the engine and exhaust as advised and she runs!!!

I achieved this by bypassing the valve and controlling the water flow by manually shutting the seacock as the engine was stopped.

Had to do this to move the boat ASAP as harbour master here being a pain!

I have now dismantled half the woodwork in the boat to reach the anti siphon and given it a thorough clean, I have to say it didn't seen very dirty and I am a bit mystified as to how it works.

Enlightenment please??

Thanks

Mark
Old 30-07-2012, 08:47   #12

Oh forgot to add its a vetus valve
Old 30-07-2012, 13:50   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Imagine a hose or a tube bent in reverse U. Water goes up, turns, goes down. Now if you make a small hole at the top of the U tube then as soon as the water stops flowing, some air will get and the water in the U will lower and become separated by the air. Now the vessels are no longer connected and there is no overflow from one side to the other.

The valve is where the little whole is. It is a plain piece of rubber that stops the water from gushing out when it passes below the valve (the pressure of the water is higher than the pressure of the air). When the water stops flowing the pressure of the air is higher than the pressure of the water, the air enters and you know the rest of the story.

The valve can get stuck with salts and when you clear/clean it the salts dissolve and you cannot see what caused it to stick.

You can check if it works by putting the valve in your mouth and sucking air - it will do so only one way if it is sound.

I guess.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 08:27   #14

Thanks again to all contributors, you saved me a fortune!

The engine is now water free and it cost me 8€ in hose to fix thanks to your advice

Sending you all a virtual beer !!!!

Tags
volvo