Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2007, 16:13   #1

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 43
Volvo 2010 on a FP Tobago - Beware ? or OK ?

I am considering the purchase of a 1995 FP Tobago that has the Volvo MD-2010s with Saildrives (I am not sure of total hrs).

I've read some good, and bad, about these engines and just wanted to see what others may think about this combo on this boat. The boat's displacement is 9000#. We'll use it to cruise FL, Bahamas, and the Eastern Caribbean.

Other owners have told me the boat feels a little underpowered, but can still reach 5-6kts at 2800rpms. Marginal, but acceptable I would think?

I know parts are expensive on the Volvos, but they seem to be good, reliable engines. Is there anything specific I should check carefully on the engines/saildrives before committing?

As always, thanks for the input!
dworkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 22:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
We have the 2010 with 120S saildrive on our maxi 77. We have 4500 lbs displacement and 8 foot beam. With the original folding prop we saw about 3.5 kts @ 2500 RPM. We never really ran higher because it passed our onboard noise tolerance level. We could probably get 3.7 @ 2800.

Reverse performance was pretty dismal. We were given a duo-prop feathering prop and it has really transformed the boat. At 2500 we get about 5.8 kts. We can just about get to 6 at 2800. We now normally cruise at 2200 at about 4.5 kts.

I really can't exptrapolate on your boat's performance but I can say that the prop is the single most important factor.

Our engine has been pretty trouble free. We have had several days of 8+ hours of motoring (don't ask)

Here is what I would check.

1/ Impeller - when was it last changed - Ours failed
2/ If the oil has not been changed I would pull the oil filter and cut it open to look for chips.
3/ I would inspect very carefully around the saildrive seal. I am sure ours is seeping and it's on the list for a replacement.
4/ Engine mounts. Check the mounts at idle both in and out of gear. Worn mounts will allow "excessive' shaking - ours are due with the new SD seal.
5/ Alternator mount and belt - Our belt was slipping. I had it tensioned once by someone else and it soon slipped again. I changed the belt and tensioned it myself and so far (about 20 hours) so good.
6/ As for any engine I would check for oil in the water, water in the oil, external oil and water leaks.

Oh, and we ran our engine for 4 hours as part of the sea trial and eyballed water and oil consumption.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo