Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 00:47   #1

Boat: Coast 30
Volvo 2000 series MS 2 input shaft to damper failure.

Previously I had noticed that between 2002 and about 2012 this subject appeared on this forum. But before writing this as a new thread I could not find anything recent. So I am interested to know how many boat owners out there in the big blue yonder are still running the Volvo 2000 series diesels connected to the MS2 transmission.

I read up on the Westerly Owners Association about the conversion of the input shaft to a Hexagon and read a recent WOA blog entry from 2014 that this has not been working out for some owners. Thus I have been working with a small company called Next Wave Marine Systems based at Qualicum beach on Vancouver’s Island CANADA to fit one of their small SUREDRIVE units into the Volvo bell housing.

If you are facing the prospect of dealing with this problem in the future why not take a look at their web site…SUREDRIVE is a sort of cushioned dog clutch with a fail safe feature to get you home. To do this there is no need to do any machining to the input shaft as the unit is clamped to it. The engine flywheel requires a minor machining operation to move the centralizing location from the centre bore of the flywheel to the out side. I have no financial stake in this beyond the fact that the more they make the cheaper it gets for everyone. Contact them directly. The contact person is; "Barbara Mark" <bmark@suredrivemarine.com>,
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:14   #2

Boat: Maxi 999, L 9,8m
Re: Volvo 2000 series MS 2 input shaft to damper failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
Previously I had noticed that between 2002 and about 2012 this subject appeared on this forum. But before writing this as a new thread I could not find anything recent. So I am interested to know how many boat owners out there in the big blue yonder are still running the Volvo 2000 series diesels connected to the MS2 transmission.

I read up on the Westerly Owners Association about the conversion of the input shaft to a Hexagon and read a recent WOA blog entry from 2014 that this has not been working out for some owners. Thus I have been working with a small company called Next Wave Marine Systems based at Qualicum beach on Vancouver’s Island CANADA to fit one of their small SUREDRIVE units into the Volvo bell housing.

If you are facing the prospect of dealing with this problem in the future why not take a look at their web site…SUREDRIVE is a sort of cushioned dog clutch with a fail safe feature to get you home. To do this there is no need to do any machining to the input shaft as the unit is clamped to it. The engine flywheel requires a minor machining operation to move the centralizing location from the centre bore of the flywheel to the out side. I have no financial stake in this beyond the fact that the more they make the cheaper it gets for everyone. Contact them directly. The contact person is; "Barbara Mark" <bmark@suredrivemarine.com>,
Hello ”Coastalexplorer”,
Now you have had your Suredrive transmission for some years. How has it been working? Service?
How many working hours?
I am mainly sailing in the Baltic. Sailing boat Maxi 999 with Volvo Penta 2002 and sailboat drive S120.
After 1500 hours the drive shaft has worn 40%. I have looked for Suredrive MOD04. It look interesting technically. Here in Europe there are nearly none knowing of Suredrive. What are their reputation on the market?
Baltic500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo