Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 08:35   #1

Vetus m3.10

I have a recently aquired a coronado 34 powered by a Vetus m3.10 . The engine is not currently running . The engine was pulled and 1300.00 dollars worth of work done in 2000. The fuel pump was rebuilt and injectors worked on in 2011.
I have attached below the assessment by a marine engine tech last week and would appreciate any technical advice. Does this sound like a head gasket? The previous owner had ordered one and I have it in its new packaging.
Also does anyone know a good mechanic in vancouver who is good with these engines.
Thanks

(Assessment below)

14th Feb. Established that the batteries were dead. Topped up the batteries and plugged the boat in.

Discovered that there is water in the engine and the oil. Could not establish if it was salt or fresh water.
Pumped out the oil and water and filled with fresh oil. Attempted to start the engine. Unfortunately the engine was dead due to lack of power from the batteries.
There was fuel however at the injectors. Had to hotwire the engine to get it to turn over. 2.5 Hours labour

. 21st Feb. Checked the batteries and confirmed that they would not take a charge.
Had to jump the electrical system to turn the engine
Installed a shop battery and tried to start the engine to no avail.
Put a small amount of oil into the air intake and again tried to start the engine.
Still would not start. Removed the glow plugs and utilised a compression test the PSI.
The results as follows Cyl # 1 ] 110psi Cyl # 2 ] 240psi Cyl # 3] 90psi
Re installed the parts that were removed.
PSI should be in the region of 300 to 350 psi. 3.5 Hours labour.

Cam. We can continue with your instructions to remove the head to establish if the damage is catastrophic or if it can be repaired. My concern is that it runs away with a load of money in diagnosing the problem only to find that the engine is no good and needs to be replaced. Frankly the general consensus of opinion is that it is likely beyond repair. These Vetus engines are not at all common in this area and it may be difficult to find parts for.
Camlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:51   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Vetus m3.10

Cam,

I had a couple of Vetus M3.10's in my cat when I bought it. These are Mitsubishi's marinized by Vetus. As the mechanic points out, parts can be hard to find. I believe the only source I was able to find was in Ireland. You may want to use this as an opportunity to learn a bit of diesel mechanics and bond with your engine. It will not be very difficult to remove the heads yourself and check the head gaskets. If that's the only problem and the rings, head, valves, block etc. are OK you have saved yourself a ton of loot. If the head is cracked, rings are shot etc. you can move on.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:35   #3

Thanks for the help.
I have found a manual so I'll pull the head and see what I find
Old 05-03-2014, 09:14   #4

Thanks again for the input. A friend and I will be pulling the head tommorrow and having a look.
I would still like to track down a good mobile diesel mechanic in vancouver if anyone knows one!
Old 13-05-2023, 12:55   #5

Correct that this engine is a Mitsubishi model K3D. Incorrect that parts are hard to find.
As with both Kubota and Mitsubishi, the core engine was installed on tractors, forklifts, generators, etc - in other word it was used in many industrial applications, not just Vetus.
Search < Mitsubishi K3D parts manual >, download then scroll through to find the (non-marinized) part you need and then search for that Mitsubishi part number. Similarly, this is the same core that Westerbeke used on their model '21', so one can do a similar search using the Westerbeke part number.
sophieoreo is offline   Reply With Quote