Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 06:48   #1

Boat: Rawson 30
Velvet Drive oil type

Hi gang! I am trying to find out what is the best type of oil to use for a Velvet Drive 71C transmission. Its attached to our perkins 4-108. There seems to be a lot of different types to use. Any preference or advice appreciated. Cheers Dan
sharutika30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 08:44   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Velvet Drive oil type

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharutika30 View Post
Hi gang! I am trying to find out what is the best type of oil to use for a Velvet Drive 71C transmission. Its attached to our perkins 4-108. There seems to be a lot of different types to use. Any preference or advice appreciated. Cheers Dan
From the attached Velvet Drive 71C manual: [manual is too large for this forum... sorry...]
Quote:
Dexron, Type F, or any hydraulic fluid which meets the C-3 oil specification is acceptable. Do not mix different brands. If engine doesn't exceed 3,000 R.P.M., a premium grade 30 weight engine oil is acceptable. SAE #40 and multi-viscosity oils are not recommended.
Cheers! Bill
Old 15-01-2019, 07:48   #3

Boat: Rawson 30

Thanks Bill I am fairly new to the forum and sent a reply earlier but to the wrong place! I have been using Dexron 6 with no problems but was wondering if it was correct. Had to seal up a minor leak at the output shaft spline. We put in the perkins 108 about 14 years ago. Great engine but too tight of a fit for any maintenance much while installed. So it sits now in the main cabin for repairs and sprucing up etc. If you come sailing south drop in to the Texada Boating Club, we moor our boat there in Sturt Bay on Texada Island. Cheers Dan & Marilyn Timms.
sharutika30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 08:16   #4

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I have the manuals at Manuals | Sailing Vessel Vigah if you need them.
Old 15-01-2019, 09:01   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Hi Dan & Marilyn,

I'm glad it was helpful. We have a velvet drive as well and do the same: use the most recent Dextron as they are supposed to be backwards compatable...

I keep some straight 30 weight oil too since I can also use that in my engine or generator if need be.

We may be doing a southern loop early this spring before slingshotting N for the summer. We will look you up if we get that far S. Our thinking right now is to spend some more time exploring the Haida Gwaii area- especially all sides of Graham Is. [And we will be rendezvousing with a few other cruising friends as they make their ways N from the likes of Gabriola Is. and Seattle.]

You are located in a beautiful area. We love BC.

Cheers! Bill

PS: Thanks to Bletso for making the Velvet Drive manuals available.

Tags
oil