Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 14:23   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
V-drive question

Just bought a boat with a brand new Westerbeke diesel with V-drive transmission. I heard "thru the vine" NOT to leave it spinning (neutral) when sailing. I am planning on a feathering prop, but not right away. Any thoughts or experiences with this? Thanks!
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 04:32   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: V-drive question

Check directly with the V-drive manufacturer (Walter or whomever...) because it probably depends on model, potential speeds, etc.

If the boat has been sailing Lo! These Many Years with V-drive and no feathering prop... might be a non-issue... but you'll still likely be more comfortable relying on info direct from the Horse's Mouth (so to speak).

-Chris
Old 25-08-2016, 08:41   #3

I agree with "check with the dealer" but as a side note, many Vdrives use a separate oil sump for the actual Vdrive portion of the unit. The transmission may take ATF, but the Vdrive portion probably takes motor oil or heavier trans oil. Check the levels of both in your new (to you) boat. Buy or download any information that you can find on the unit, and keep it available. Just my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 04:00   #4

Boat: Paceship 29

Whether V-drives turn or not, I think it doesn't matter. But they are usually mounted on greater angles than regular transmissions, so the dip stick indications, are in error, leading to underlubrication.
sony2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 04:12   #5

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

I have an older Walter V-drive...it is cooled by the incoming raw water to the engine...I also have a folding prop.

I do not think it would be a good idea to let my V-drive free wheel with a fixed prop without cooling...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 05:08   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

Read the operator's manual for your model and do what it says. Don't take some random guy's guess on the internet. Some drives overheat if left to spin. Some drives will damage the clutches if locked.

A V drive is not a sail drive. There is only one oil sump and the oil level will be measured correctly as long as the engine is installed per the manufacturer's instructions. The down angle of the V drive is already taken into account.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 05:57   #7

Hello:

I have read the owners manual and it says nothing about what to do with the rive while sailing....and I fear calling in, as I find it hard to imagine tin this ay and age getting a firm strong answer from someone who really has the definitive answer. The folding prop is still a few weeks out...just don't wan to damage things....I all continue to leave it in neutral when sailing.
Old 27-08-2016, 06:21   #8

What is the brand and model number of the V drive?
Old 27-08-2016, 06:24   #9

Westerbeke....not sure of the model number....brand new last year
Old 27-08-2016, 07:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
Westerbeke....not sure of the model number....brand new last year
So far as I know Westerbeke does not make transmissions. The two most popular V drive transmissions used on Westerbeke engines are made by ZF or Walter. ZF transmissions used to be called Hurth. You should be able to find the ID plate on the transmission. It will usually show the model number along with the gear ratio in forward and reverse.
Old 27-08-2016, 08:33   #11

I just looked at a Westerbeke with a vdrive and the transmission was a Paragon. The owner had told me it was a Velvet Drive, but the top plate was embossed with Paragon. The transmission and the add on vdrive had separate oil supplys. The trans took ATF and I think the vdrive took regular oil, but there were separate dip sticks. I think that the transmission should be more of a concern about free wheeling than the vdrive. Calling a rebuilder, rather than a dealer. I think you will get better answers there. Look for the second dip stick. best of luck. Grant.
Old 27-08-2016, 08:42   #12

OOPs, I guess I repeated my self Grant.