Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2016, 13:37   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Use of hydraulics to better locate engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That's true, and another thing is the gen engine, if it is making ac, can be running at 3600 rpm or so which is close to most engines highest HP or torque. So basically, maybe it could be the smallest possible engine for the KW required?
You get a smaller, but still larger engine that operates at very high speeds and is very loud all the time.

It can work, but as always there are downsides.

The problem with stepping outside the 50/60hz standards is simply finding one that doesn't have to be custom built. Technically your right you don't have to stick to these, practically you do.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 18:23   #32

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Use of hydraulics to better locate engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velella99 View Post
Again thank you all for your perspectives. None of this is wasted a I'm going to do some investigation based on leads you've given me above. The physics fascinates me and the options entice me. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
What you want to look at are the axial piston, variable displacement, reversible flow, closed system pumps. These are very quiet and the direction of flow and displacement of the pump can be changed using a single control, full ahead to full astern in milliseconds.
There is more choice with the motors but I tend to like the gerotor types for their simplicity and reliability also they are pretty quiet. I have used vane type pumps and motors but they tend to work at lower pressures than the axial piston pumps and require larger piping to avoid pressure losses. The vane type pumps and motors are also fairly quiet and tend to be lower cost than the piston types. Whichever type you chose a closed loop system would probably be best in a boat drive application.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine