Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 13:11   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Up the creek without an engine

You can pressurize the tank with a dinghy pump if you have one through the vent line, that should be way easier than using a squeeze bulb to fill a Jerry can that way. Let air pressure push the fuel out.
An electric pump is maybe $15 off of Amazon or elsewhere, lots cheaper than the mechanical Yanmar pump and cannot dilute your oil with fuel either.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 13:15   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Up the creek without an engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can pressurize the tank with a dinghy pump if you have one through the vent line, that should be way easier than using a squeeze bulb to fill a Jerry can that way.
An electric pump is maybe $10 off of Amazon or elsewhere, lots cheaper than the mechanical Yanmar pump and cannot dilute your oil with fuel either.

The squeeze bulb I use is like a dingy fuel bulb. I don't have a dinghy or outboard. Too spendy and too heavy for me. An electric lift pump will be on my must get items. Once I'm back at the dock.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 13:33   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What a supreme drag, SC. I hope your hand doesn't plague you for days after. This, too, shall pass.

Wishing you and your engine a speedy recovery.

Ann
Old 10-10-2016, 13:49   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Any chance you can get a can into the bilge so you can start a siphon? I'm aware of the squeeze bulb, just thought maybe you had some kind of air pump.
As a kid I learned to siphon gas from vehicles, after getting a mouthful or two of it, I learned to put a rag around the hose to seal it into the opening of the tank and blow into the hose, you would build enough pressure to force fuel back up in the hose and of course then you have a siphon.

No dinghy, how do you get ashore?

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 13:53   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm beginning to think I have a vacuum leak. Just don't know yet. Perhaps a cracked copper fuel line. Symtoms is no fuel at the fuel pump. I can prime it but no go. Still suspect the lift pump too. But will get an electric pump first, once back at the dock

But my first 5 gallon jug is filled and will fill the second 5 gallon jug just for fun. Starting to get pooped. Will sit here for a few more days and ponder life and sucky furl systems that don't.

I'm thinking after 22 years I need to redo the suction side of the fuel system. Been meaning to relocate the racor anyway for 6 years now. I guess there is a chance that the fuel piping is 44 years old, judging by the Old AC delco filter that is till on the bulkhead.

Least the day is sunny. Rain on the way for the weekend Joy.
Old 10-10-2016, 14:17   #36

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Got to get back to the dock first before I can buy anything.
Oh C'mon, there's got to be someone can run to NAPA, get a cheap 12V fuel pump and some clear hose for you?
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 14:18   #37

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Do you have an oil scavenger pump for changing the engine oil? Repurpose it to pump diesel into the engine.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 16:11   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have decided that I need to revamp my fuel system. I've been meaning to move the racor to the inside engine access, rather then remove everything from the lazzerette first.

I've rigged a day tank with a 5 gallon jug and have another 5 gallons in a second jug. All pumped with a fuel bulb. Only down side is my forearms now look like popeye's. I'm going to continue with my last bay cruise for the year. I have more then enough fuel aboard and the engine fuel filter is new too.

Once back I'm going to pull the fuel tank and replace the 22 year old hose and inspect the dip tube. Both are inaccessible with the tank in place, Joy. I suspect I have an issue with the old fuel piping. So new will be provided and installed. I also have a 12V pump on order just in case the lift pump has packed up
Old 10-10-2016, 16:27   #39

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Regarding the temporary daytank setup you have created... do you need to take into account a fuel return line from the engine? I ask because our return line positively gushes returned fuel and would empty a jerry can in a few minutes if it were not also plumbed back to the temporary source

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-10-2016, 16:41   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Regarding the temporary daytank setup you have created... do you need to take into account a fuel return line from the engine? I ask because our return line positively gushes returned fuel and would empty a jerry can in a few minutes if it were not also plumbed back to the temporary source

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yeppers. I had just enough hose to do both. I should note that I've designed fueling systems for big v16 cumming diesel generators. (7 in a row in one room) The fuel is used to help cool the injectors.
Old 10-10-2016, 16:47   #41

Quote:
Yeppers. I had just enough hose to do both. I should note that I've designed fueling systems for big v16 cumming diesel generators. (7 in a row in one room) The fuel is used to help cool the injectors.
Oops! Ha ha, my bad, talk about teaching someone how to suck eggs!

Sorry, it was on my mind because I have been running from a 20 litre jerry can tied to the companionway steps while I rebuild our fuel system. I ran the return line using some clear hose I had spare and I have been fascinated watching the return flow rate as I chug along.
Old 10-10-2016, 17:01   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm pondering adding a real day tank to the system. Of course that money thing will prevent me from doing too much.
Old 10-10-2016, 17:04   #43

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

The way you describe the problem, My first thought is the same as Viking. an easy way to check it is open the fill cap after runnin' for a while and maybe right when the engine starts slowing' down. It'll pick back up and you might hear some suction at the cap.

a leak on the suction side would introduce air in the system, but it would accumulate in the racor first before gettin' to the high pressure pump. You would still have a good amount of fuel in the line up stream of the filter....
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 17:15   #44

Quote:
I'm pondering adding a real day tank to the system. Of course that money thing will prevent me from doing too much.
Did you see my thread on building a cheap day tank?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ss-172888.html

Of course you may run into problems with regulations according to some CF posters, but I am thrilled with how mine turned out, from an aesthetic, function and COST perspective.

It turned out so well I decided to rebuild the bit of the boat that supported the original tank because the shiny new tank made that bit look seriously manky. Hence I am still running from a 20 litre jerry can tied to the companionway ladder.

Matt
Old 10-10-2016, 21:18   #45

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Quote:
I probably messed it up running the starter with the seawater valve closed. Better to fry a raw water impeller then hydro lock the engine. Could be a air lock in the water lines too but will look at that in the AM.
I learned on this forum that I can disconnecy the raw water hose from the mixing elbow and run raw water into the bilge to preveny hydrolock while saving the impeller.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine