Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2014, 14:43   #16
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Re: Universal M2-12

You may be interested in looking at Kubota z751. Thats what it started as before it was marinized from what Ive gathered.

Old 09-05-2014, 14:59   #17

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
You may be interested in looking at Kubota z751. Thats what it started as before it was marinized from what Ive gathered.
You are correct. However, it seems most tractor supply sites work better if you go by the tractor it came in, over the model of engine. Just like an Auto parts store will find what you need faster if you tell them it's a 1970 Chevy Nova, over a 1970 GM 350.

So, the way I just found the PDF for this engine was requesting the engine PDF for a Kubota L185F (2wd), on Messicks.com (Farm supply) under the Parts diagram drop down.

I have yet to look for other parts, but I need a dipstick, and they want $17.19. The hansenmarine site wants $43.94 for the same part!!

Old 09-05-2014, 15:22   #18

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

My M-18 manual calls that an exhaust manifold and says it "also serves as an expansion tank to allow for expansion of coolant as it is heated". Mine is freshwater cooled, which means it uses both sea water and antifreeze thru a heat exchanger. Regarding the oil leak, I suppose it is possible that your valves are slinging enough oil to make its way out of the valve cover vent and onto the valve cover. No way to know without starting it up and watching it. Probably would occur at higher rpm, but that is a guess. I've never seen any oil or smoke come out of my valve cover vent hose, but my engine only has 1500 hours on it since new in 1986.
Old 09-05-2014, 15:53   #19

The freshwater cooler is behind the engine running side to side. This engine is Freshwater (coolant) cooled as well.

However the bottom of that large pipe is a stainless steel flex line coming off the exhaust manifold. From what I can gather it might be what is called a dry muffler, as it sits well above the waterline.

The issue is that I can't find anything like it anywhere. It's possible it's simply a very old design that isn't made anymore.

I might have to buy something different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flex pipe into muffler.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	80801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marine muffler2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	80802  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marine muffler1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	80803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust headed out.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	80804  

Old 09-05-2014, 16:03   #20
cruiser

The fresh water flows through the manifold to keep it cool. Then saltwater is or should be injected at a mixing elbow attached to the end of the exhaust manifold.

Oil from valve cover breather indicates compression loss through valve stems or rings.

So you probably need new exhaust manifold gaskets if its leaking exhaust. I bought a piece of exhaust gasket off ebay for $3 delivered and cut my own. The gaskets I replaced retailed for $18. The piece i got was enough to cut several sets. I see all kinds of crazy setups run on exhausts. Often iron pipe us used and lasts for a while, but not that long. I replaced all the pipe with bronze from a marine salvage yard when the original to me stuff rusted out.
Old 09-05-2014, 16:17   #21
cruiser

After looking at the video it looks like a cobbled together mess. I would disassemble down to the head, check out the integrity of the exhaust manifold and throw everything else out. Get yourself a mixing elbow, run the hose down from there to a water lift muffler, then up above the waterline a bit then down to exit the boat. What you have looks like a mess.

The vent hose should be hooked up to a recirculating point where it typically enters the intake. id have to check the hose routing in the manual to be more specific.
Old 09-05-2014, 16:17   #22

That white powdery crap is one of those plaster exhaust casts you can buy at an auto parts store (that NEVER work). It was wrapped all around the clamp and fitting between the stainless flex pipe, and this upright muffler looking thing in these last pics. That plaster cast crap was intended to plug the exhaust leak coming from that area, not directly out of the exhaust manifold OR the stainless steel flex pipe.

In that video you can see two ring clamps on that muffler looking thing, which appear to be holding a piece of sheet metal around that muffler looking thing.

At this point I'm pretty sure that Muffler looking thing IS a muffler is my point. I just can't find anything built today that looks anything like that design.

I'd still love to have someone confirm or disprove this theory about that black exhaust can. I KNOW the exhaust is going though it BTW.
Old 09-05-2014, 16:24   #23
cruiser

Sometimes people use a length of pipe between the cooled manifold and the mixing elbow. Usually this is wrapped in some kind of insulation, red hot exhaust pieces arent too favored in boat engine installations.
Old 09-05-2014, 16:33   #24

The coolant/raw water cooler pipe is fine, it cools just fine, it flows just fine.

The issue is a missing overflow tank (currently a beer can). The vent hose runs down to the air intake (already found where and how in the engine diagram). it is NOT the beer can hose! (that is the coolant overflow reservoir tank hose). The vent hose is all out NOT there at all. In need of full replacement (plug in and connect to air intake housing).

Theory I can't check is a bad valve cover gasket. Which the previous owner claims is the cause of the oil leak (Not the vent hose at all).

Issue NOW, is the muffler is rotted out (I'm assuming this is the muffler but nobody will confirm that I am correct). IT leaks exhaust, and has had numerous attempted repairs (or so it seems). It also has a hose feeding into the top (as seen in the picture above).

Can you confirm that this flex pipe coming off the water cooled exhaust manifold, THEN leading to where exhaust leaves the boat, AFTER passing through the thing in question. Is that thing my Muffler??
Old 09-05-2014, 16:52   #25
cruiser

As I mentioned about the exhaust. it looks like a home brew mess and i would start over with a coherent design.

I went to a junkyard and bought a coolant overflow tank for $5 with a mount and hose. It doesnt have to be marine. I just looked under hoods till i saw one I liked.

I have the same engine with all parts sitting in a garage. I can show you what the exhaust piping looks like, Its also home brew for and designed around the boat it was in.
Old 09-05-2014, 17:10   #26

I'm in no way saying you're wrong. However I can't just rip out the exhaust system and replace it where the boat currently is. Not to mention I don't see anything wrong with anything on it OTHER then this muffler???.

(IF THAT IS a muffler??????)

I need to drive this boat BY motor, for six hours to get it TO a place I can work on it. I'd prefer to not replace the entire system if I can avoid it too!!

As for the reservoir. You're thinking just like I was planning. It is not an issue, any more then a new vent hose is. I'd guess the valve cover gasket will take under an hour.

Can anyone tell me that the black can in the middle of my exhaust system is called a muffler?? You can see it in the pictures I posted earlier, the bottom looks like it is badly corroded. That is not corrosion, but cheap plaster casting (see video at the beginning of this thread)

If it IS a muffler??, what would be the best type of replacement? Avoiding replacing excessive engine components? The exhaust leaves the boat fine other then this rotted out THING riddled with holes (assumed), and previously wrapped in plaster exhaust cast. That thing I GUESS is a muffler?? has a few leaks, at least one where the cast HAD been, just over that shinny new flex pipe.
Old 09-05-2014, 17:32   #27

Okay, here is a breakdown.

1. Exhaust manifold is fine. (A little surface rust on the outside)
2. Flex pipe coming off the exhaust manifold is also fine, about 8 months old. (Shiny stainless steel)
3. Rusted out (Muffler????) thing with exhaust going in the bottom, then out the bottom side. Also has a hose coming out the top, running down the back. (I can't tell where it goes, but I believe it runs into the continuation of the exhaust pipe after the (Muffler???) thing.
4. Pipe to the back of the boat (roughly 3 feet above water line).

That is the system right now. That rusted out thing HAS to be a muffler.

If the inner pipe is the exhaust feeding into it. Any water getting into the system by wave would drain right back out the pipe it came in through. It would have to climb another foot to get into that inner "feed" pipe, then flex pipe.
Old 09-05-2014, 18:28   #28
cruiser

generally, the muffler is of the water lift design. The ones Ive seen have all been fiberglass or plastic. The water should be injected nearest the exhaust manifold as you can. From then on its all rubber exhaust hose and fiberglass. No ferrous mufflers exhaust pipes or the like.
Old 09-05-2014, 18:45   #29

Mine isn't splooged together. It is simply an old school "dry" type exhaust. Mostly metal. However quite likely original factory circa 1977.

A wet exhaust will require the injector, the air vent, Muffler/Water lock, Gooseneck and all the hoses to connect it together over 8ish feet?

At Vetus that means all I need to do is spend $900 before I can drive my boat to the boatyard.

All because I can't find a dry muffler.

Nothing like huffing diesel exhaust all day, over a max $100 item!
Old 09-05-2014, 18:50   #30

ANyone know where I might be able to buy quarts of JB weld?? ROFL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: