Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-10-2016, 08:54   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40
Universal 5444 air intake advice please

So, the air silencer on my 5444 has fallen apart. The part is no longer available and while I could probably reconstruct/refabricate it, I have an additional issue in the short term which is that my engine room is suffering from decomposing foam in the noise control barrier. I've ripped out 95% of what is bad but a complete refit is going to be time consuming given the extent of wiring and fixtures that will need to be removed for the process. In short, it is not a confidently clean environment.

There were two listed original parts for the engine...a silencer shaped like flattened teardrop with a vent at the bottom, and subsequently a round flame arrester deal. The latter is what I have and if it had a foam cover it is long gone and I have not found one to replace it.

Given the lack of a spec'ed replacement part being available and the state of the engine room, I'm contemplating a clamp-on K&N filter. I'm assuming that virtually any model that fits the tube (guesstimating 2-2.5") will provide adequate airflow.

There is a certain amount of blow-by that comes out the intake...not a huge amount...let's just say it drips steadily but slowly as the engine runs. Is this going to saturate the filter and cause problems or a hazard? If so, would installing an elbow to mount the filter vertically be a solution? Does the blow by need to exit or if no exit will it be reincorporated/burnt back into the engine?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Universal 5444 air intake advice please

No one? Perhaps the answer is obvious and no one is going to humor me with input, or no one has a sound opinion on the issue. I find the latter to be highly unlikely lol.

Old 05-10-2016, 20:55   #3

Suijin,

I have a universal 5444. It had that teardrop silencer and I removed it because it is not a filter. I couldn't find a filter or housing that would fit the engine compartment, so I temporarily put a K & N RD-0520. AFter just a few hours, it is collapsing a little, so I think it is not a good long-term filter.

The 0520 is temporary until I find a filter housing with filter or make one.
I'm hoping to find a filter housing that house the filter and mitigate some of the noise coming out of the intake manifold. It also needs to have a fitting to accommodate the crankcase breather tube so it stops blowing oily mist around the engine compartment.

Good luck.
Old 09-10-2016, 16:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ah. So that's where that tube goes, lol.

I may reconstruct the one that fell apart, and as you say get the breather hose recycling back into it.

I was concerned about airflow and I'm actually surprised that yours is collapsing. It's not like these are high performance engines sucking huge gulps of air. I might actually just use the filter but not oil it, which I assume is going to limit it's intake throughput.
Old 09-10-2016, 17:14   #5

Here is a picture of the collapsing filter and where I temporarily put the breather tube. You can see the pinched center where the suction is collapsing the filter.

Collapsing filter

I have to design/build a filter housing to get better filter and put breather on outside of filter medium.
Old 09-10-2016, 17:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
and subsequently a round flame arrester deal. The latter is what I have and if it had a foam cover it is long gone and I have not found one to replace it.

Given the lack of a spec'ed replacement part being available and the state of the engine room, I'm contemplating a clamp-on K&N filter. I'm assuming that virtually any model that fits the tube (guesstimating 2-2.5") will provide adequate airflow.

There is a certain amount of blow-by that comes out the intake...not a huge amount...let's just say it drips steadily but slowly as the engine runs. Is this going to saturate the filter and cause problems or a hazard? If so, would installing an elbow to mount the filter vertically be a solution? Does the blow by need to exit or if no exit will it be reincorporated/burnt back into the engine?

Thanks for any and all advice.
Interesting Malfunction

Please read the rest of the topic, too.

Maine Sail, IIRC, has the K&N on his website.

And this one:

K&N air filter breather hose
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 15:10   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, I'm going to give the K&N a shot. I have room for sizeable one, so will buy the largets one that fits a 2" pipe. The intake on the engine is horizontal, so I plan to install a 2" stainless elbow and mount the filter vertical or near vertical. I was getting some residue around the old silencer and I figure this will keep it from clogging the filter or leaking down, and It will be re-consumed.

My breather tube just drops down to the hull, and I suspect it's a source of gunk on the engine. I'm going to put in an oil catch can at the bottom and then run it up to the filter. scherzoja, your collapsing filter may in fact be the result of blow-by that is fogging your filter and clogging it if you've routed your breather tube directly to the filter.

This is the general schema of what I'm going to do:

I'm going to make mine out of PVC parts from Home Depot and stainless scrubby pads. If it works well I may end up purchasing a nicer version that allows you to monitor what accumulates in the can without opening/draining it.

Tags
lease

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: