Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2016, 05:17   #16

Boat: O'Day 34
Re: Universal 5424 with Hurth Transmission problem

Is the drive/damper plate standard or do I have to open it up to see what I need first? (drive versus damper plate same thing ,right?)
Old 19-11-2016, 11:12   #17

Boat: Westerly Konsort Duo 9meter

I had the same problem, no forward power. Repair should cost €1200. But brandnew HBW15 was €1400. I decided for new. This was in 2008 in Holland.
wad'nwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 11:15   #18

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I would take it off and take it to a marine transmission shop and get a quote. You might be surprised at how reasonable it is to rebuild it. A mechanic is not always a transmission expert. (There are mechanics and then there are mechanics).
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 11:26   #19

Heat is generally the killer of transmissions. One of the large engine suppliers offers a bolt on trans cooler for the Hurth units. You dont have to drill anything or have salt pipes running through your transmission. If you rebuild it yourself or buy a rebuilt (or new) adding a cooler is a good idea. I dont remember the name of the company, but I am sure someone here will know and post it. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 11:45   #20

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Your drive plate may be OK Have to look close. If springs are loose/rattling/missing/broken it's toast. Many models available shaft dia and#splines ?? My preference have rubber cups between smeshing sprockets ,sort of like a geroter pump ( no springs,no chatter) Use a torque wrench so you don't spit bolts off the flywheel later.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 14:18   #21

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

I replaced my ZF10 because of numerous failures. But I believe heat was the issue as at the time I was in the tropics.
I fitted a PRM 120. It slipped straight in but was a tiny bit "longer", I forget the exact measurement, and the shaft offset (in to out) was 10 mm greater. I had to lift the engine 10 mm. Did it with shims.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 16:57   #22

I'd like to just replace the drive plate too at the same time but in order to order one, I have to take everything apart, identify it, and then wait to order one, etc. Unless there is a standard one for the Universal 5424?
Old 20-11-2016, 01:06   #23

Boat: Westerly Konsort Duo 9meter

In my case was heat and age the reason for breakdown. I did order the water cooling, but never mounted it. Instead i did mount a large processor cooler from a computer. I do not like the idea of alu cooler and salt water with stainless pipes in a steel ship. The fan cooler helped me a lot. I mounted also a temp meter at the hbw10. It never rise above 40-60 °c. 70-80°c is the critical value i believe.
wad'nwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 11:08   #24

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad'nwind View Post
In my case was heat and age the reason for breakdown. I did order the water cooling, but never mounted it. Instead i did mount a large processor cooler from a computer. I do not like the idea of alu cooler and salt water with stainless pipes in a steel ship. The fan cooler helped me a lot. I mounted also a temp meter at the hbw10. It never rise above 40-60 °c. 70-80°c is the critical value i believe.
I have been contemplating the cooler for my HBW-10 but not really a fan of more raw water piping around the engine bay, and don't want to over stress my raw water pump (it's already going to the hot water heater and will be going to a bus heater eventually), so your idea is intriguing.

Do you have more details on this setup? When you say "processor cooler" sounds like you mean more than just computer case fans, do you mean a whole heat sink / fan combo? Any more details you could share, or pictures?

Thanks.

-- Bass
Old 20-11-2016, 11:15   #25

My Hurth's got so hot you could fry an egg on them. I contemplated buying a Hurth cooler unit but never did. As I said above, never had an issue, was lucky I guess. I'm not sure heat is an issue for them, maybe why they use auto trans fluid.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 11:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My Hurth's got so hot you could fry an egg on them. I contemplated buying a Hurth cooler unit but never did. As I said above, never had an issue, was lucky I guess. I'm not sure heat is an issue for them, maybe why they use auto trans fluid.
My latest oil analysis of my HBW-10's ATF indicated it had been oxidized, which to me means overheated, which must make it less effective at lubricating.

Looking at ways to both monitor tranny temp (going to get another Engine Watchdog, have been very happy with the double one I have currently: Some like it hot… (and other mods) – Sailing Idaho, the Salish Sea and beyond ) but also looking for some reasonably simple way to remove some excess heat... it can't be right how hot these things get.
Old 20-11-2016, 12:04   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
I have been contemplating the cooler for my HBW-10 but not really a fan of more raw water piping around the engine bay
Ahh, duhh, just realized I'm confusing my two water circuits. I take it the transmission coolers run off the raw water side not the fresh water side?
Old 25-11-2016, 11:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
There are other threads on CF about removal, google it.
I've done lots of searching and can't find info on removal - you must be a way better searcher than me.

I've got all the bolts out of the bell housing (well, all except for the one whose head twisted right off - and yes I used PB blaster soaked for a day) and the prop shaft disconnected. It's still quite tight. Wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong before I start beating on it with a hammer.
Old 25-11-2016, 12:00   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
I've done lots of searching and can't find info on removal - you must be a way better searcher than me.

I've got all the bolts out of the bell housing (well, all except for the one whose head twisted right off - and yes I used PB blaster soaked for a day) and the prop shaft disconnected. It's still quite tight. Wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong before I start beating on it with a hammer.
Whatever you do use google or similar, the CF search is ridiculous.
5 seconds, 5 hits from CF and 5 from Sailors forum...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 12:14   #30

Well, yes, I get lots of "hits" - the problem is finding ones with actual useful information on the same equipment as mine.
I found one that was almost similar, (though a different engine, which doesn't really help). But what was funny is he spent four minutes talking about mundane things, then the video cuts to the back of the engine with the transmission gone and he says, "OK, the transmission is out."

Tags
hurth, transmission