Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2006, 08:34   #1

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
Universal 5411 - stuck coupler on propshaft

An aquaintence has an old Catalina-30 with a Universal 5411. How does one jack the coupler from the prop shaft on this beast. A description of the coupler is a totally enclosed steel coupler with a rubber disc in the center with 4 radial screws/lugs that transmit the torque into the internal rubber disc (?). There are two set screws on the hub. I assume the coupler is set with a straight shaft with a woodruff or square keyway - no shaft nut in the counter bore of the coupler.

**** I am trying to SAVE the bronze shaft ***** .

How does one get this coupler off the shaft. Have attempted to jack the shaft by placing a heavy walled socket between the separated coupler and a drilled blank flange (the transmission attachment 'fingers' are probably too 'light' to bear any 'jacking' without breaking them). Cant heat the coupler hub as I dont want to destroy the internal rubber disc.

Question .... do the radial 'hex-heads' have to come out of the coupler before removal ... these suckers are buried down in the rubber disc and its damn difficult to get any 'bite' with a socket?

Any ideas from *actual experience* on separating this 'wierd' coupler from a Universal 5411 would be greatfully appreciated. I know how to 'jack a shaft' but this one has me stumped. The Catalina 30 is an early 80s mode.

Any *experienced* answer greatfully appreciated.

regards RichH
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 09:23   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
By your description, it sounds like you have a standard flange coupling with a Globe, or other, DriveSaver between the flanges. You should be able to remove the 4 (or 5) nuts from the outboard (shaft) end of the flange to separate the flanges, although that may also take a few modest taps with a rubber mallet. Having separated the flanges, and having removed the set screws to the shaft, from the throat of the outboard flange (i.e. where the shaft connects with the outboard flange) simply insert something like a deep socket that is slightly smaller than the shaft diameter between the flanges, in line with the shaft. Retightening the nuts on the DriveSaver will pull the flanges back together while the socket will force the shaft out of the throat. Usually, they separate pretty easily once their hold on one another is broken.

Good Luck!
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 12:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Did you say a "Bronze" Shaft???? And you have a steel boss over the bronze shaft?
Hmmmmmmm, you've got fun haven't you.
Hylyte has great advice. I would also attempt using a hydraulic bearing/pulley puller. It's going to take some force and I doubt a standard puller would do it. As yoyu apply the force, give the back of the coupling a crack with a heavy hammer onto a Bronze drift. Apply penetrants as well and even leave standing for a day or more till you have another go.
Heat would be your best freind. If you can get a Gas torch down there, heat the collar as fast as you can and keep a wet rag around the bronze shaft or even have water dribble over the shaft. You need a lot of heat so as you can sink it qwickly into the collar before it has a chance of getting to the rubber. Then as soon as the rubber gets hot, you will have to stop and quench the whole lot real quick. Even the heating and quenching may unfreeze the joint. Don't attempt heating unless you have a good tip size. Those small hand held cannister thingies simply won't do it. You will do more harm than good.
Keep us posted with the results.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote