Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2018, 19:04   #1

Boat: 1970 Columbia 36
universal 5411 only runs wide open

I just got a cat 30 with a universal 5411. The engine had water in it and I had to disassemble the injection pump and injectors. After I did this the engine would start and run but runs wide open and if I don't cover the air inlet it would overrev and blow up. My guess is the control sleeves in the pump are not timed correctly. Anyone know how to correctly time them, they are splined. I was given the boat and it has been sitting for a while, don't know how it ran before. Thanks
Rob
whatknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 19:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: universal 5411 only runs wide open

I’d take the pump into a shop and have it rebuilt.
Good on you to be able to shut it down before it was damaged
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 20:12   #3

Thanks but full disclosure, I’m an automotive diesel mechanic so I’m kind if trained for something like that. However I’ve never taken an injection pump like this apart before, they haven’t used injection pumps since the early 90s and even then we sent those out so I’m no too familiar with them. I’m going to play around with it some more tomorrow (found a YouTube video about it) and if its not fixed by then I’ll send it out.
Old 27-07-2018, 20:29   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
universal 5411 only runs wide open

Well, as you know there is a lot to an injection pump and to injectors as well.
Unlikely you have the tools to properly set one up and get everything right, there is a reason why you guys sent them out.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 10:14   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I hope it is not running away from burning sump oil.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 20:30   #6

The injection pump is actually really easy toninspect and rebuild. Found a leaking gead gasket. The head is coming off tomorrow.
Old 30-07-2018, 09:54   #7

Boat: Allmand 31

My 5416 did that when I did not reinstall the Injection pump correctly.
My error was not putting the 'T' (rack pin/sliding part) on the IP correctly into the V groove of the governor.
Paradox111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:48   #8

Thanks Paradox11, I pulled the side cover off next to the pump to check that the other day. Thanks the T is sitting in the governer groove and moves belack and foward with the throttle. I didnt have time to get the head off during the weekend bit hopefully in the next few days. Had to remove a glow plug to get the pump out and when i came back to the boat water was trickling out the glow plug hole so im guessing leaking head gasket or cracked block. We shall see.
Old 30-07-2018, 18:18   #9

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

If the linkage is installed correctly, then the pump is likely not assembled correctly.

It's been awhile since I had one of these apart, and I'm not sure I've ever had the exact one that you have apart, but they're all basically the same.

You probably either have the plungers 180 out in the pinions or you have the pinions at the opposite side of their travel. Some pinions only go so far; some don't have stops.

How far did you disassemble the pump? If completely, I'd guess the plungers were reversed. The pinion holds the plunger in a certain position relative to the bushing so that an amount of fuel specific to the governor position is injected. If I remember correctly, if the plungers are reversed they inject full fuel all the time, irrespective of the rack position.

If you didn't completely disassemble the pump, and if the pinions have stops, you may be able to just remove the pump, note the rack's position at full fuel and no fuel and reinstall it with the pinions turned to the opposite position.

Obviously these are just generic suggestions that may not be specific to any idiosyncrasies of your pump, but they might help steer you to a solution...or perhaps an injection pump guy with experience with your particular pump will chime in.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 18:30   #10

Thanks Jim. I had the pump completely apart, the pinion and the rack have timing marks on them but it is possible I have the plungers 180 off. I assumed the plunger fuel inlet groves faced the fuel line but I could be wrong. I’ll switch them when I get the engine back together and see what happens. Thanks again!