Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2007, 18:58   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Universal 5411 Exhaust Flange Search

I need an exhaust flange for a 5411. An online search resulted in a price of $184.00 new from a well known "supplier" (rhymes with morrison). The Manifold is close to $400.00

Jimininy Chistmas!!!!! There is about 12 ounces of cast iron (at the most) in the flange.

If anyone knows where I can get this part reasonably please let me know
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 19:02   #2

call me I think I have one on the shelf. I'll check tomorrow.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 06:00   #3

Boat: Newport 27-S MKII
Re: Universal 5411 Exhaust Flange Search

Gee, that was helpful to the 5411 web community🙄
Stenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 06:03   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenn View Post
Gee, that was helpful to the 5411 web community🙄
You know this thread has been dead for 12 years right?
Old 26-10-2019, 07:43   #5

...you know this subject is timeless and recurring, right ?...and unless some jerk detonates an EMP.....the web-presence of this repair thread will be timeless too. An answer like "call me" to an open web-request for help is like Amazon "customer-answers" to product questions with brainless replies like "I don't know"
Old 26-10-2019, 07:47   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

My point was whomever originally posted this question has long since unsubscribed from the thread so your comment is highly unlikely to reach the intended recipient so they could correct their "error"
Old 26-10-2019, 07:53   #7

My comment was NOT directed at just the original poster...but to all who would be oblivious to the universal web-audience searching for and needing help in a recurring issue (like my 1983 exhaust that just fell apart a couple days ago) and find useless direction like "call me" instead of advice on actual purchase sources.
Old 26-10-2019, 08:48   #8

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Why not fabricate one from flat stock and a half coupling. In fact make 2, probably cost you $60 for both.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 09:53   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
...you know this subject is timeless and recurring, right ?...and unless some jerk detonates an EMP.....the web-presence of this repair thread will be timeless too. An answer like "call me" to an open web-request for help is like Amazon "customer-answers" to product questions with brainless replies like "I don't know"
WTF dude. Seven years ago someone posts asking where to find a part and 10 minutes later a fellow board member responds they might be able to help them out. That's awesome. We help each other out here. It's not our responsibility for ensure the format and content of our posts meets the needs in perpetuity of every Universal owner (of which I am one) trawling the net for information.

Have some perspective. Obviously yours is skewed because now YOU have a pressing problem and are frustrated you can't find what you need.
Old 26-10-2019, 14:27   #10

LoL...that's EXACTLY my point..."HAVE SOME PERSPECTIVE" beyond a private little conversation "call me"...this is the "World Wide Web"..remember that term from yesteryear ? I'm not frustrated at all, there's resources I'm finding like Catalina Direct, and local welders...my comment was aimed at people sort of like those driving along in the dark with their headlights off..."hey, wake up...there's other drivers out here."
Old 26-10-2019, 14:38   #11

Thank you Kenbo....I wonder how hard it would be to find stainless "flat stock" and a local shop that could work it. Catalina Direct wants $204 for their flange and studs...that I think are just more iron. But other articles about just sticking with the same black iron orginally used are tempting too...$15-$20 total vs $~400 for custom stainless....we could get used to just changing out the iron pipe ever 2 or 3 years while it still comes apart easily enough vs $400 or more for "permanent" stainless ? It's just that flange that's the harder part. There's a guy on YouTube showing using a torch to get his original flange off his rotten pipe after it's red-hot...but then I guess there's those 34 year old threads to worry about too...

...which is back to Kenbo's point about fabricating one (or 2) from stock....
Old 26-10-2019, 14:51   #12

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Thank you Kenbo....I wonder how hard it would be to find stainless "flat stock" and a local shop that could work it. Catalina Direct wants $204 for their flange and studs...that I think are just more iron. But other articles about just sticking with the same black iron orginally used are tempting too...$15-$20 total vs $~400 for custom stainless....we could get used to just changing out the iron pipe ever 2 or 3 years while it still comes apart easily enough vs $400 or more for "permanent" stainless ? It's just that flange that's the harder part. There's a guy on YouTube showing using a torch to get his original flange off his rotten pipe after it's red-hot...but then I guess there's those 34 year old threads to worry about too...

...which is back to Kenbo's point about fabricating one (or 2) from stock....
There's no compelling reason to make an exhaust flange from SS since there's no sea water there. I'd use 3/8" or 1/2" flat stock in steel and a Schedule 80 coupling cut in half. Instead of studs use steel bolts. I'm not sure what size thread is on the original but just match it in NPT or BSP.

If you're worried about getting things apart use high temp Never Seize or a good quality pipe dope like Hercules.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 16:06   #13

Thanks Kenbo...sounds like you have a lot of pipe/machining experience...I don't...but I'm getting the gist. Regarding getting stuff apart and using bolts, I'm more worried about whether the original studs will come out...especially as I damaged some threads while getting one nut off. I can't imagine heating the manifold enough (red hot?) to get these studs out...that should be "fun"!
Old 27-10-2019, 07:21   #14

P.S Kenbo, re: "no compelling reason" to use stainless to fabricate a flange...it wasn't so much concerning seawater...I was presuming a SS exhaust flange wouldn't rot from ambient air salt...and would hold up better with heat in case it needed to come apart in the future. But would there be a dissimilar metals issue of different expansion and contraction rates as the engine and exhaust heated up with use and cooled down at shutdown? Would a SS exhaust have sealing problems or even warping at the flange/manifold joint since the manifold and block are cast iron ? CatalinaDirect's new flange they sell with their custom SS exhaust riser looks like it's iron...I wonder about that expansion issue.

Locally in Jacksonville, FL it looks like some decent availability of metal stock..."Alro Metals" seems to be national, and even has an eBay presence....with machining services too...and there's others...looks like light at the end of this tunnel.
Thanks again for your specific stock and machining ideas !
Old 27-10-2019, 07:34   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You won’t have any issues from different expansion rates, it just doesn’t get that hot and there isn’t that much difference either, but if your looking for a more permanent solution for an exhaust elbow type of thing, SS isn’t really a good metal, bronze or Cupro nickel is better.
Stainless doesn’t outlast cast iron by much and may not outlast thick cast iron.
Bronze and or cupro nickel should outlast the engine. Operative word is should.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, exhaust