Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-05-2016, 21:02   #31

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Uber newb. Freedom 28 yenmar diesel

You guys are doing fine, just be careful and think two steps ahead when it's time to put her in the water.

About the tach not working..... check for a sensor on the back of the engine in the top of the bellhousing. It has two wires on it and screws in there to detect the flywheel spinning. OR it works via an extra wire that comes out the side of the alternator by sensing the AC variations in the stator.

Could be likely you have a loose or corroded connection somewhere as tachs are pretty reliable.

Old 27-05-2016, 21:15   #32

Boat: 1984 Freedom Yachts 28

Thanks for the info on the tach. Will check that next at boat.
That plastic elbow is after the shut valve. Yes, the van won't sink so that's a fair point

Old 28-05-2016, 06:32   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Self-built 44' steel trawler

The seacocks should be directly bolted to the hull or threaded on the through hull mushrooms, and if threaded be supported sufficiently to withstand a considerable side force without cracking. Nothing should come between the seacock and the through hull. Check Nigel Calder Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, around page 385 in the 2nd edition, for detailed instructions on how to mount through hulls and seacocks. This a critical area - a broken through hull, a broken seacock, or a popped off hose under the waterline can let water into your boat far faster than any bilge pump can get it out, and may be in a very difficult place to reach. And, yes, close your seacocks before you leave the boat. Close them before you go to sleep, too.
Old 28-05-2016, 07:12   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Did you say you yanked the battery while the engine was running in an attempt to shut it down?

If so, chances are good your tach isn't working because you murdered the alternator. The diodes in the alt don't play well when the load (battery) is removed from the circuit.
Good news is that you should be able to have an alternator shop fix it relatively inexpensivly.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-05-2016, 07:19   #35

No we didnt yank the battery leads. That was a desperate thought that crossed my mind.
But disconnecting the ignition wiring from the ignition did nothing to stop the motor, so I thought perhaps the battery wouldn't stop it either.

The tach was flakey the first time it was fired with crusty mechanic. It didn't work at all, until a few seconds at the end of the test fire. (The day before comedy gold).

I pulled the 'dash' and inspected the connections and bulbs on the rear of the panel. Everything looked (surprisingly) very good, although a different (not tach) connector looked a little corroded, not terrible or anything mind you, but showing age and exposure to air (salt air) to a degree and not what I want to see when I'm looking at the regulator charging wiring to, say, my Kawasaki bike which is very sensitive to corrosion on the tiny gauge crap wires the factory installed.

Oh, and tested the bilge pump, it works. The interior lights work. Fresh water pump was active although no water from taps yet. Hadn't checked the valves for that yet nor do we have any idea if there is any water in the big fresh water tank (is there a gauge for that somewhere?)
For black water storage tank, does it just stop taking in 'stuff' and then you know it's full and have it pumped out?
I will post a pic of the electrical panel next. Are there fuses that reside behind the switch panel? There are two marked 'spare' and we aren't sure what that's for. Maybe adding in custom circuits?
Old 28-05-2016, 08:14   #36

Just posted up a video I shot yesterday of the boat and motor running if interested to hear this diesel that has been sitting for 3-8 years (we're told only 3 but again the registration expired 2008 so I am dubious this guy sailed this illegally down here).

video:
Old 28-05-2016, 08:22   #37

Here's the electrical panel:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5272.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	125083  
Old 28-05-2016, 08:25   #38

We have no idea what the manual / auto toggle switch is for in the above pic.
We have no idea what the black toggle switch on the ignition (outside key) panel is for. Don't seem to do anything flipped either way (both of them).

And the battery test DC Volts toggle 1/2 and the meter itself never do anything, we have tried pushing toggle both directions, key in, motor running, off etc...

Owner installed 2 new marine batteries, and we know they are super strong.
Old 30-05-2016, 08:45   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Here's how:

Winterizing an Engine on the Hard (Thanks to Maine Sail) - NEVER connect a hose to your raw water pump inlet - NEVER!!!

Winterizing A Diesel Engine On The Hard | SailboatOwners.com Forums
Would be helpful to explain why
Old 30-05-2016, 10:13   #40

Boat: islandpacket

Manuel and auto normaly goes to the bilge pump. Manual when you want it on to test or pump that last bit, auto so it will come on when your not there or sleeping so you wont sink.
Looks like you will have to trace alot of wires to see where they go and if there hooked up at all.
I must have pulled 50 lbs of old wires that didn't go to anything or where bad.

Get your note book out and write down what you find. Just a simple drawing. And mark your wires as you figure them out at both ends.
The 1-2 switch is for 2 battery banks. Switch to 1 and see volts on that. Switch to 2 and see volts on the other bank. Most are never hooked up. But thats what its for.
The other? Follow and see.
Get several boat electric books.
Jon. C Payne and 12 volt bible helped me out alot.
Again label as you find it. Go slow. And write it down in your note book. You will get confused. I did and enjoy. Oh and get quality wire stripers and crimpers.
Old 30-05-2016, 10:33   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Self-built 44' steel trawler

Tracing wiring can be very difficult. One aid I found was really long test leads. I took a 25' zip wire extension cord, cut off the ends, separated the two wires, and put alligator clips a both ends of each. That lets me attach both ends of a wire that wanders through inaccessible places to my multimeter, or attach a lead to one end and to the multimeter, and then go through a bunch of connections behind the panel with my multimeter probe until I find the right wire. Just be careful to avoid putting voltage across the resistance circuit on your multimeter; it will either blow a tiny and hard to find fuse in the multimeter or fry it. A $14 digital multimeter is just fine for this sort of work. Good hunting!
Old 30-05-2016, 10:51   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

If you have no background in it do a little reading. Ringing out the wiring as ikeithlu suggested and tagging the wires as badsanta suggested is not easy but the way to go.
Running down wiring by flipping switches and looking for voltage is insanity.The cheapest VOM you can get is fine. You may want to disconnect your batteries and get one of the LED head strap lights just to keep your hands free.
Old 30-05-2016, 10:53   #43

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

The toggle switch next to the key switch has two functions.

One direction is the lamp test for the cooling water temp warning lamp. Since it doesn't illuminate before starting the engine like the alt and oil warning lamps.

The other direction turns on the tach illumination lamp for night running.

It's not very likely you have a level gauge for the fresh water or black water holding tanks.

You do not want to pump the head after the tank is full. The pump is quite strong and will pressurize the tank. With a clogged vent you can get a smelly surprise if you remove the deck fitting cap at that time.
Old 30-05-2016, 11:09   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsfsm View Post
Would be helpful to explain why
If you read the link it explains it. That's why people use links.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 15:14   #45

thanks for more answers.

Well, our toggle switch does not illuminate either of those lights.
Turning the key all the way clockwise (but motor off) does illuminate the low oil pressure warning and battery charge lamp and the alarm sounds (all as it should according to our Yanmar manual).

(for the tach) This model / engine has two leads that do come off the back upper part of the motor (not the alternator). I disconnected both leads and inspected them and they are both visually good and sealed well enough. The wiring is solidly wrapped and no breaks in the insulation as far back as can been seen until it disappears into the lower engine / bilge area.

Is the main panel supposed to light up? I see there is a red lamp and a green lamp written on the panel that illuminates depending on condition (so the writing says). No lights ever come on in the interior panel - not sure if they should or not.

Tags
diesel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: