Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2010, 10:02   #16

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post

Welcome to the beat-a-dead-horse Club.

As it is, these posters seem to just enjoy repeating the same complaints, with no chance whatsoever of a reversal.

I'm sorry. I thought we were just responding to a fair question, albeit a throughly covered question in CF already.

I don't read post complaining.... yet.
Old 26-08-2010, 10:09   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I've got high transom and found lifting thre motor over my head (4-stroke 5 horse honda) so for under $400 put a motor hoist on the boat. You can't beat it. I row to shore but use my motor when fishing, exploring or going against currents > 3 knots and the hoist makes it easy to do the environmentally responsible thing.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 11:02   #18

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstar 44 View Post
My 15hp 2 stroke outboard has died for my rib 310. When talking with some people they claim that the 4 stoke does not have the immediate power of a 2 stroke engine. My old evinrude weighed 77 poiunds vs new 15's weighing more than 100. Any advice on an outboard that can get a AVon Rib310 up on plane with 4 adults and still weigh little enough to carry down the transom ladder by a 62 year old sailor. I am avoiding using the davits since the avon slides down the transom and the outboard would not.
for your requirements in my opinion, to get 4 people up on plane, on a 310 avon, and with your weight limitations, you are going to need to find a 15hp 2 stroke. Can't really think of a 4 stroke that will do that, tried the same thing on an apex with the tohatsu 9.9 and no joy, but others might have a different experience.

Others mentioned, but head to the bahamas, and grab a enduro 15hp 2 stroke, or pay an outrageous price at the few dealers domestically that are stocking the older engines.
Old 26-08-2010, 11:12   #19

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
AAAHHhhhhh!!! All for the sake of GOODNESS! YEAH, RIGHT ON!!!

This bull$%^& was imposed on us during the Clinton regime by Carol Browner............the same @#$#%^&* that wanted to require lawn mowers to operated with catalytic converters!!! She got the boot with Bush but like a bad omen, she is back serving under the big O as ENERGY CZAR.

If you can get a 2 stroke in good condition, GET IT!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 12:11   #20

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 44 ketch
Thanks for all the input

My Dink is used to go to outside reefs in the bahamas and large distances to land since I prefer to anchor off a long way in crowded anchorages.
My outboard took a swim in the Turks and Cacos 20 years ago and lasted a long time but pistons are shot and block is scored etc. Problem with mid 80;s evinrudes is the raw water tube at the block is small and clogs up when you are unable to freshwater clense the enginge.
SOunds like I should wait for next trip to Bahamas and buy 2 cycle.
Thanks one and all,
GULFSTAR 44
gulfstar 44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke