Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2010, 17:14   #1

Boat: PETERSON 44
Two-Stroke Confession

I moth balled a yamaha 8 2 stroke. Started taking it apart and then let it sit for 3 years. My intention was to scrap the beast.Enviromnmental reasons mostly. Anyway with my newer 4 hp 4 stroke Notsohotsu I thought it might be nice to have a back up. So I cleaned the carb (I use MEK from a hardware store not that spray stuff). Put a new impellar changed the lower end oil and a few rusty fittings.It runs Not so loud as I remember not so stinky either It started and runs the champ. I checked the manuals and although I could sware it was 50:1 the online manual says you can go 100:1. At the moment its running sweet. I know this might seem bad can you help me justify my joy as a reborn polluter. ergggg My language is better. Lest I remind you while rowing up a creek with the nissan my 4 year old notices another nissan coming out as his voice carried over the water look Dad that guy has a damn Nissan too. I smiled (grimmaced)
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 17:26   #2

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
Thumbs up

the good news is that the two strokes are lighter than the 4 strokes. and if you drop your 4 stroke into the water...........well theres a bit of work to ensure trouble free days ahead, were as if you were to drop the 2 stroke into the water, all you would do is pump the water out and it would start.

personnaly I prefer the 2 strokes only because they are simple to fix
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 17:39   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Had an old seagull outboard, it was so simple that when ever it didn't start I could take it all apart, clean it and it worked like new and had a sweet sweet purr sound. In an outboard you get it wet, you get sand in it, so KISS.

With that I must mention that most of the times it worked like wonder on the way to the beach and didn't start on the way back to the boat, so too much kissing, you should kiss the outboard ass goodbye.
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 17:50   #4

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySt View Post
Had an old seagull outboard, it was so simple that when ever it didn't start .......

With that I must mention that most of the times it worked like wonder on the way to the beach and didn't start on the way back to the boat, so too much kissing, you should kiss the outboard ass goodbye.
So because of an old Seagul, all 2 strokes are of the devil?

Remember, a Seagul selling point was how easy it was to rebuild. What they didn't tell was that you had to rebuild it everyday.
Old 15-09-2010, 17:55   #5

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
My Seagull always started, even after months of idleness. By the way, are parts and repair services for the 5 h.p. model still available, if needed?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 17:56   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
I have 4 2-stroke snomobiles my wife and I use over the winter with friends. Does that make you feel better?
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 06:23   #7

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
I have a Seagull 5 hp longshaft circa 1962 that I procured through a trade on craigslist. It ran the first couple times out, but then quit starting and leaks gear oil like a sieve.

The parts seem readily available, but does anyone happen to have a workshop manual?
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 06:43   #8

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
I got a 2 stroke Yamaha based on the recommendations of a guy who lived in the Bahamas for years and said the 2 strokes handle the lower quality fuel here better, the 4 strokes keep the mechanics busy. So far so good!
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 06:59   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I, too, am a 2-stroke fan.

I never knew Seagull made a 5hp version. My ancient 2hp worked well for a number of years and I'd still be using it if I hadn't gotten a bigger inflatable.
Old 16-09-2010, 07:27   #10

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I wouldn't feel too bad about using a 2 stroke. More pollution was probably created building the new 4 stroke than you will ever create using the 2 stroke occasionally. Also, I've had many more problems with my 4 stroke than I ever had with a 2 stroke; Not. I think I have wiped out most of the bad memories of my 2 strokes with time. I also owned 2 strokes before ethanol was a big problem. I do remember that 35 years ago, maintaining my 2 stroke caused me to go to my local Jr college and earn a non-degree certificate in outboard mechanics.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 10:29   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
So because of an old Seagul, all 2 strokes are of the devil?

Remember, a Seagul selling point was how easy it was to rebuild. What they didn't tell was that you had to rebuild it everyday.
I loved that little wonder, felt like I built it myself

But a high maintenance outboard is kinda not part of the story, so if @subray has too rebuilt it again and again he should loose it.

If it works, its a great extra outboard to have.
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 11:25   #12

They sell a 2 stroke oil that's biodegradable. You're still burning a lot of stuff, but at least the oil slick in your wake is roughly on par with flushing some olive oil down the galley sink.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 14:16   #13

Boat: PETERSON 44
My facilities Dept uses 2 srokes for the snow blowers as well. The fact is while Its not the best on emissions they are dependable. I mothballed when I bought the more friendly yamaha 8 hp 4 stroke which was great while it ran. I can clean the carb blinfolded. So the 2 stroke sat abused and stripped down in a damp basement.Now Im so happy with it Im thinking that I was daft. Just sat on the back of the dink a few days and now starts on the first pull guilty pleasure.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke