Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2016, 09:40   #241
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Tug of War - Electric vs Diesel

Hi Brian,

First I limited knowledge of the rim drives and zero personal experience so can offer no help in that area.

Regarding DE drives and generators can offer some semi-educated opinions.

Yes, with the proper controller, the right generator and power output you can drive a motor directly off a generator without batteries but the main thing is matching the motor and generator. DC or AC motor, DC or AC generator?

How many or how few batteries? Totally depends on how much range you want without running a generator. The problem with batteries is that in a typical cruising boat unless you fill the bilge and make the batteries part of the ballast it's difficult to get more than 50-60 mile range under power and that only at moderate speeds and moderate conditions. Adding a generator adds complexity and cost to the system. My research came out to double or triple the cost of a new diesel engine and transmission. So DE only makes sense if you're looking at other benefits, potentially the ones you mention like steerable and retractable drive or in my case, a cleaner, more accessible installation and elimination of a v-drive that is a real pain.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:03   #242

Re: Tug of War - Electric vs Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> Assuming this was done legitimately

BIG assumption!

First thing I noticed was that before they engaged the engines, the electric boat was moving forward and the diesel boat was going backwards.

Then I looked in slomo at the prop wakes from where they started motoring ar the 15 second point to 17 seconds. There is no sign of any prop wash coming from the back of the diesel boat - just a bit coming straight out to the side. Something is very wrong there.
Of course the electric gets the jump. Full torque in an instant. The diesel needs to build rpm to get to power. Ever seen a Testa race a corvette? No magic here
SDChristian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, electric