Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-04-2011, 11:55   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Tools Needed to Repower

HI All:
Next year I am probably going to repower the boat I am buying in Italy. It will not require any changes to the rebedding. I trying to put together a list of the tools that I will need for a repower. The existing engine and mounts are really rusty:

1) Socket set

2) Wrenches

3) Drill and bits

4) inflatable ball and pump to use as a jack to lift the engine

5) Nut splitter

6) penetrating oil

7) Torch

8) pry bars

9) Tap and Die set to clean threads on motor mounts etc.

10) Jig Saw (cut out for engine panel)

Anybody else have any suggestions on what tools and what you would use them for?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:10   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Re: Tools needed to Repower

Chainfall/Come-a-long

Canvas/Carpet to protect surfaces

Feeler gauges to check alignment

PB Blaster

Nut splitters are a wast of time

Big Mechanics hammer and sharp chisels

Old 08-04-2011, 05:55   #3

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

A 1/2" or 3/4" drive breaker bar and deep socket to fit the top of the engine mounts. A piece of pipe to extend the handle may be needed.

I would want to have a grinder for any really stubborn nuts.

You mention cleaning up the engine mount threads. On a re-power, I would be replacing the old engine mounts.

Paul
Old 08-04-2011, 06:00   #4

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor

I agree with Chief Engineer. Just finished a repower -- photos and story on the blog below. Be ready for surprises, unless you're going back in with an identical replacement engine. Also, just in case, consider having on hand a heavy duty jig saw or sawzall, and a good, strong drill motor. Homeowner grade rechargeables may not be good enough.
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:18   #5

leave the torch at home

a 4" angle grinder with cut off wheels; and a good sawzall will accomplish any task a torch will.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:12   #6
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

I second the Chief Engineer's "Big Hammer"
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:20   #7
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

how are you going to hoist the motor in and out of the boat?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:33   #8

I had to pull an engine last year and it was not too bad of a job. We used a treated 4X4 across the companionway to support a come-along to lift the engine. We used a few short lengths of 2X6 run lengthwise on the deck on both sides of the companionway under the 4X4 to spread the weight some on the deck.
Also, when trying to assist with positioning the engine for removal and replacement a 2-3 foot piece of 2X4 came in very handy to use as a pry bar. I used a piece of 2X6 on the hull to protect it instead of prying directly against the hull.
We also used a motorcycle lift to move the motor around.
Some other items you may want are ratchet straps to secure the motor to the motorcycle lift.
My biggest suggestion is a camera to take pictures of every possible angle of the engine before you start disconnecting it. Sure is good to have a reference in the event a piece of tape labeling a wire falls off or you just completely forget where something goes. (we had both of those situations happen)
Old 08-04-2011, 09:01   #9

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse

Band aids and aspirin.

Six point deep sockets, second the PB blaster, allen wrenches, two complete sets of open end wrenches, battery operated impact driver.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:02   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

I would get the torch if possible. It's a lot cleaner, and more exact than cutting with power tools. Most of the time you will be able to reuse the same stud,. because the heat will alllow the nut to come off easily. This way you avoid drilling out a partial bolt. Been there, and done that for 33 years.

As far as lifting the motor out. I used the main halyard attatched to a webbing strap wrapped around the boom. The block, and tackle attatched to the webbing. Leaving no effort on the boom. It just became a guide for the motor to be dropped on the dock........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:50   #11

Boat: 1982 Oday 34

I did mine last year. I had to use a grinder to cut the old bolts out of the stringers.

We also built a little dolly cart out of 4x4s on the sides and 2x4s front and back to roll the engine up into place under the galley cabinets and then were able to slide it from the dolly onto the stringers and back into place without any problem. That saved us from having to remove all the galley counters to be able to hoist it in.

The hardest part with our install was engine alignment since the design of the motor mount brackets made it very hard to get to the height adjuster nuts on the mounts themselves. We would have to jack up the engine off of the mounts, adjust them, then lower it back down to check again. It was a real pain.
Old 08-04-2011, 13:30   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for all the responses. PB Blaster will start being spread liberally a month or more before the removal of the engine. I like the big hammer idea but need to figure out what is better to buy in Italy and what is better to bring with me. I wish I could bring all of your suggestions. I will have to buy some of the things there. From Chief's list Feeler gauges bring Heavy hammer (buy there) Chain Fall or come along (buy there) Chisels (?) Paul, I am going to buy a set of 1/2 sockets when I get there. I wonder if they have an Italian equivalent of Sears. I think that quality should be good enough. Play Actor from your blog the Fein multimaster will be good to bring along. NM yes an angle grinder but b/c of voltage I will rent or buy there. E38 thanks for the tips. The 4x4's etc will be a big help. JRD22 I have been thinking of getting one of these for a long time I think I will now Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more I2F glad to see you back posting hope u r feeling better. I think I will have to settle for a plumbers torch. Jet Texas did the dolly have wheels?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 08-04-2011, 13:39   #13

Boat: PETERSON 44

The prior lists make up a pretty complete list. Ill add engine cleaner degreaser, wet dry vac, some place to transfer all the bilge yuck (empty 55 gallon drum)
Old 08-04-2011, 13:55   #14

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

From what I saw, Italians arnt as DIY oriented as we are and as such, its hard to find tool stores and when you do, they are VERY expensive.

Take electrical connectors to help rewire after, the simplest things like this can be hard to find and the biggest problem is the language barrier. That which we call a **** isnt the same in Italian and explaining to Joe average is so hard to do.
Old 08-04-2011, 15:15   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sabray thanks for the idea degreaser will be important as well as a place to throw stuff. Anjou love the new avatar. I was thinking about electrical connectors. I guess I can just bring the set I have on Ohana. That should work. When do you splash?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad

Tags
repower

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: