Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2011, 09:24   #1

tohatsu 6 4 stroke burning lots of oil

have 09 engine bought new......300 hours....recent bahama trip, i was adding 3-5 0z lube oil per 15 hours running....any ideas......engine is still in warranty and currently in shop.........espin
scajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 12:08   #2

Re: tohatsu 6 4 stroke burning lots of oil

Any ideas about the above problems
scajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 15:17   #3

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

What position do you stow it in?

I have an outboard in a well. I also have a Tohatsu 6hp 4-stroke.

I do not care much for this motor, IIRC I bought it in 2010, but it might also be a 2009 model... the motor was not changed since 2006 IIRC.

The Tohatsu, Mercury, and Nissan are all three the exact same motor.. all are produced on the Tohatsu factory line with the difference being the decals.

Storing it on the correct side (as per the manual and the decal) will still allow a small quantity of oil to leak into the cylinder. It smokes when first started, but I have noticed it only does this when I have removed it from the well and laid it down.

I am on my third oil change (I changed it at 10 hours as per the manual and then did a second 10 hour oil change because I am somewhat anal about maintenance).

I use Tohatsu branded oil.. which is not synthetic.

I have 2 ideas as to your problem... one is the oil leaking past the rings when stowed but that only applies if you stow it on it's side (or raise it on a transom mount?)

The other possibility would depend on the oil you use. Synthetic oil is great stuff, but should not be used for the first several oil changes. It may not allow proper seating of the rings which can cause oil burning. I have seen this, and it is in user manuals on many small motors (can not recall if it is in this one.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 15:24   #4

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

One other idea...

The oil is supposed to be checked on these motors with the dip stick screwed in.

(verify in your owners manual, but it should read the same as mine).

I remember working in the motorcycle shop (Yamaha and Honda) that one (Yamaha?) wanted you to check the oil by screwing in the cap.. the other wanted you to just place it in the hole and not screw it in.

IIRC, in looking at this same issue I read that the oilcap / dipstick was to be screwed in to check the level.. I had once just placed it in the hole.

If I remember this right, my Honda generator is just the opposite... but I think the motor wants the cap/stick screwed in... if you are not doing this then your motor may be burning off the overfilled oil.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 stroke, oil