Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2013, 03:51   #31

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Re: To hone or not to hone old yanmar

There is a low tech way of measuring big end clearance. A product called ACL Felxigauge ( I just bought some on eBay for next to nothing).
It is a soft plastic strip. You put a little between the bearing and journal and torque the bolts as normal. Then, without rotating the engine, dismantle and measure the width of the squashed plastic against a scale on the side of the pack. Dead simple and pretty accurate. You would need a new set of shells to get a realistic idea of journal wear though.

Regards,

Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 04:11   #32

Hello Bowden:
I know about the plastiguage...read the whole thread.... I was the first to bring it to the island, unknown before my arrival..it will tell me journal clearance, but not if the big end is out of round.
Thanks though.
ti325v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 04:29   #33

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

You can use plastigauge to tell out of round, just make a series of new plastiguage measurements with the crank in different degrees of rotation (say 6 o'clock, and 3 o'clock). Keep the plastic in the same orientation to the big end cap each time.
You can also measure taper by checking each end of the plastic.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 06:36   #34

Hello Richard and BobConnie and everybody who offered terrific advice here, I got crazy busy and have not had a chance to close the post and thank everybody.
Richard, you are a clever man great idea there about how to measure out of round for the big ends.
I have in the mean time procured a big enough mic to check the journals and a bore gauge, though an excellent on the spot way to check was proposed by Richard.

Having said that.....I finally have gotten some great service from Yanmar Japan, I needed a clutch and some other bits for the gear box. But...I am stymied by the fact that Yanmar no longer has pistons, liners, rings, valves, springs.....they can make me bearings.....
So I am kind of stuffed...now I am looking at Chinese suppliers for a master rebuild kit.
Thanks everybody for all of your input....The plan is a master rebuild kit, no honing required, new liners, new rings and pistons, valves...effectively a new engine.
I was up in saigon recently after market suppliers told me.
Yup, sure we can match it, but you have to send us up samples.....My though..okay you want me to pull a rod, liner, head, and send them up to you, lay my boat up for a month, so you can hopefully send them back to me with the chance that you cannot in fact match them ?
He proceeded to drop the piston and pin he was showing me onto the concrete floor and put it back in the box !
Oh man.
Thanks again all. I am so grateful for all the help.
Larry
ti325v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar