Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2016, 15:49   #1

Boat: Schooner scow
Throttle/shifter woes

I have a starboard side single lever throttle/shifter on my pedestal that is probably original equipment on my 1979 Morgan 462. I don't know the brand, it's unmarked. I have two issues. 1) the throttle lever slips when you hold at a typical cruising RPM setting ( I'm using small bungy cords to hold it in position for now) and 2) the knob below the shifter/throttle lever which disengages the shifter therefore allowing a fast idle, is stuck in the engaged position. The pin rotates and allows the shifter to function. I just can pull it out to disengage it.

My questions are 1) are these units adjustable? 2) do you need special tools to make the adjustments?

The cables are fine but I would like to increase the friction setting on the throttle and free up the engage/disengage pin on the shifter.

All comments are welcome!
Old 14-12-2016, 17:02   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Throttle/shifter woes

Independent of the brand, cable shifters are not rocket science. Take it apart; if you come to any point where there are stacked parts on a shaft (unlikely) either sketch how they go together or take a photo. See how it works. You'll soon know how to free the disengage for the gear shifter and how to control the friction, or that it is crap and you need a new one. You can do it.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 17:28   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Wow, I re-read your post, and this sucker sounds like it's gotten zero TLC since 1979. Disassemble, clean, and grease....Hope nothing is corroded beyond repair.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 18:49   #4

Boat: islandpacket

Post a photo
Old 14-12-2016, 18:52   #5

Boat: islandpacket

You can try a few small hose clamps around the cable sleeve to increase the friction.
Old 15-12-2016, 00:08   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

They actually sell a clamp that clamps to the cable to adjust tension. Real low tech.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1222387...&ul_noapp=true

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 03:09   #7

Boat: Schooner scow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Post a photo
I'm away from the boat at present but will be returning after the new year. This repair is one of my top priorities. I'll send one then.
Old 18-12-2016, 19:20   #8

Boat: Savage Nautilus with Yanmar 2qm15 inboard diesel.

As tkeithlu says "it's not rocket science....you can do it".

I don't know what brand control you have, but I myself have a single lever Morse MV2 control. It was playing up badly so I picked up another off ebay, but in the meantime I took my old control apart and repaired it myself. There was a small spring and ball bearing which jumped out during disassembly but it didn't take a science degree to work out how they fitted back in. It turned out that the nylon bushes on the throttle lever shaft and gear select shaft were badly worn. I couldn't find where to buy replacement parts so I made my own bushes using a piece of nylon strip which I shaped with a heat gun. My old control works fine now and I keep it as a spare, just in case.

You won't know what's wrong 'til you pull yours apart but it sounds like it just needs a good bit of maintenance. There'll probably be two levers fixed to the shafts so take note, or a photo, of the of their position before you remove them.

The cable clamp, as suggested, will solve your throttle slipping problem. Just tighten it gradually until you get the right amount of tension, too tight can damage your cable.
bony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot