Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 17:55   #1

Boat: HC 38 mk2
Thermostats and Broken Bolts

first I would like to thank S/V Alchemy for being someone with enough time on his hands to take a personal interest in my spelling. Also, taking personal shots at my self, people like him are full of inspiration. He reminds me of the people that have said, "you can't and 'never" and all the other negative stuff that usually scares off people from the boating community.To him I say," hats off." I hope your not parading around the world representing the people of the USA with your lousey attitude. You should spend more time encouraging people. You might be recived better. If you do have friends, I feel sorry for them. Any-way...Anyone ever bought a 10 year neglected boat and tried to remove the thermostat housing, snaping the bolt heads off? I had the most crazy time standing on my head trying to retap the holes after cutting the studs flush. I went threw 2 taps, 6 drill bits and three bendable exstentions... persaverence always win's!.....Anyway for S/V, my beautiful girl has helped me figure out this computer, but yes, I'm a little behind the times, I threw out my tv and changed my rollerfurling back to hanks and a reefable jib! Besides, there were many a-good sailors who never learned to read or write, obviousely I do both...Paul
liveanimalsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 18:00   #2

Remember the advice on forums is worth about what you pay for it. With my best advice and $2 you can get a cup of coffee. Rock on Paul. Don't let the boaters get you down.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 19:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveanimalsoc View Post
Anyone ever bought a 10 year neglected boat and tried to remove the thermostat housing, snaping the bolt heads off? I had the most crazy time standing on my head trying to retap the holes after cutting the studs flush. I went threw 2 taps, 6 drill bits and three bendable exstentions... persaverence always win's!.....l
Perseverance is one approach; I took a shortcut to the same problem on one of my antiques and simply attached a G-clamp. Was meant as a temporary fix but it's been good for 10 years now.

Not sure what the motto is...
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 20:49   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
first I would like to thank S/V Alchemy for being someone with enough time on his hands to take a personal interest in my spelling. Also, taking personal shots at my self, people like him are full of inspiration. He reminds me of the people that have said, "you can't and 'never" and all the other negative stuff that usually scares off people from the boating community.To him I say," hats off." I hope your not parading around the world representing the people of the USA with your lousey attitude.
See! There's where you're mistaken. He's Canadian. And they do spell differently up thar.

But lets not start personal wars. We do like to joke around a bit here so don't get to upset if someone doesn't put in a smilie. Us Craftsmen are just that. Spellen is not part of fairing in a piece of wood that is pleasing to the hand/eye.

We have sailors on here that can barely speak english, let alone the spelling. We even had one guy with a speak and write program. The spelling was really funny. I think it put in the accent.

Sail on..............................._/)
Old 13-02-2011, 05:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
...Anyone ever bought a 10 year neglected boat and tried to remove the thermostat housing, snapping the bolt heads off? ...
Ewe should never try two remove the thermostat housing on a 10 year neglected boot engine. It just cannot bee done.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 06:15   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Oh, was there a mechanicle questin in that rante?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 06:53   #7

Boat: grampian 26
That's what makes sailors sailors. Peverserverence, injinuite and and jineral cleeverness.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 07:16   #8

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
Quote:
Any-way...Anyone ever bought a 10 year neglected boat and tried to remove the thermostat housing, snaping the bolt heads off?
Nope, but I don't envy you... although, to be fair, I've had the same problem on other pieces of equipment. (Using a blowtorch and two wrenches inside the wheel well of a compact car to free up tie rod ends, for example....) OEMs just won't take the extra three seconds per bolt to spread a bit of silver anti-seize on there!
Quote:
I had the most crazy time standing on my head trying to retap the holes after cutting the studs flush. I went threw 2 taps, 6 drill bits and three bendable exstentions... persaverence always win's!.....
Taps and bits really ought to be sold in packs of six or eight of the same size. You always end up destroying the same ones over and over, so pretty soon you have six partial sets, all with an unused 17/64" and none with a usable 1/4". But buying the things individually always costs something like 10-20 times more than buying the whole set...
Old 13-02-2011, 08:18   #9
cruiser

thank goodness for spell check! LOL

back to the theme of your opening post.

if (any) bolts snap off and if there is any of the bolt protruding before you cut it off and make yourself lots of extra work give it a good soaking with penetrating oil take a itty bitty like 6oz ball peen hammer and wail away on the protruding part - not particularly hard but fast to vibrate the rust and crud loose and let the oil in. odds are good you can then grab it with a GOOD pair of locking pliers and rock it back and forth and get it out without drilling and cussing.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 08:22   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Like fast, slurred, jumbled talk on the VHF radio, bad punctuation, spelling and grammar make for difficult communications.

Some may even think those who refuse to try are just insulting the listener/reader.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 09:02   #11

Boat: ketch, 51'
Unless you are like ZeeHag and then it is your trade mark...

From her post on other sites it appears her grammar and spelling are just fine...

It does take some effort both to write in that manner and understand. The funny part is I actually understand her with no problem...
I've been in the south way too long
Old 14-02-2011, 13:13   #12

Boat: HC 38 mk2
you guys rock!

thanks for being cool.. im sorry about the rant..I just let it get to me..its one of many things im working on.
liveanimalsoc is offline   Reply With Quote