Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-12-2012, 12:17   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: The Right Way to Run a Diesel

No need to run your diesels up near max rpm. As long as your exhaust is proper you are not lugging the engine. Today's manufacturer's rate their engines high rpm to sell smaller engines that look bigger and lighter on paper. Interestingly, commercial engine manufacturers often rate the same engine at different rpm for different uses. So a 500 hp engine may be rated at 3000 rpm for Recreational use, 2500 rpm for intermittant duty and 2200 rpm for continuous 24/7 commercial use. Same engine. That should tell you something about engine longevity... to make it last a long time when running 24/7, they dont want it running so fast! makes perfect sense to me.
I was told by a Yanmar mechanic to run the 3gm30's in my cat at 3600 rpm, or close to it. Both engines failed at less than 2500 hours.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:29   #77
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I believe it would be a good idea to check out the manufacturers' suggestions on run-in procedures as well as optimum run rate before applying a bunch of well intended advice and buggering up a perfectly good engine. Just some advice from an old salt... Phil
I agree that you should run your engine the way the manufacturer says.

I've noticed the past couple of years a turning away here on CF from the "run it hard" to the "run it efficiently" but to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:29   #78

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

+1, Cheechako... good advice. Phil
Old 09-12-2012, 12:41   #79

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Listen to Capt Phip on this one !! Not all diesels engines are the same! Ive had many different types, and ran many many others over my 50 + years of boating! everything from air start Atlas Imperials to single cyl hand start stuff! and one thing Ive learned is proper maintenance is whats important!! The 4-108 we had in our 42 ft colvin went 14000 hours before we decided to rebild it! It still ran but was starting to burn a little more oil then it leaked!!LOL that was 15 years ago ! and the last I heard it was still running well! Oil changes and good filters!! valve adjustments! and a GOOD Type of diesel rated oil ! Ive never used any fancy new types of oil, so can't comment on them ! Ive stuck with DELO cus I could get it almost world wide. But one thing Ive always had was additional remote oil filters!! and I change every 100 to 150 hours, or at least once a year! LOL Ive never owned a HIGH speed diesel except in my pick up, and Ive always ran my engines at 1800, 1850 rpms (except fot the Atlas LOL) worked for me !!
Old 09-12-2012, 15:54   #80

Thanks daddle for the explaination. When I look at the power curve for the 4-108 it shows hp vs rpm. If I'm unable to achieve max rated rpm then....I'm not producting the rated hp. So....is the hp that I am in fact producing adequate? To me it is since I can come close to hull speed with that reduced rpm(and reduced hp). The key to me is not running it at WOT continusly regardless of what that number might be. My 2 cents
Old 09-12-2012, 19:06   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Thanks daddle for the explaination. When I look at the power curve for the 4-108 it shows hp vs rpm. If I'm unable to achieve max rated rpm then....I'm not producting the rated hp. So....is the hp that I am in fact producing adequate? To me it is since I can come close to hull speed with that reduced rpm(and reduced hp). The key to me is not running it at WOT continusly regardless of what that number might be. My 2 cents
I think you are misinterpreting the power curve. It shows the power that the engine will safely produce. That's different than the power it might be capable of producing if overloaded. maybe think of the power curve as a "do not exceed" curve. To actually know what is going on with RPM, power and torque would require more detailed curves and instruments.

When an engine is overloaded the power will be too high for the RPM. It follows that the torque limit is being exceeded.

Get the right pitch on your prop.

Tags
diesel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: