Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 11:17   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
The Powerplant Serenity Prayer....

I just posted a comment, and thought it was so important that it needed its very own thread....

Now say it with me....

The Powerplant Serenity Prayer:

God, As an owner of a (insert your brand here... Perkins/Yanni/Volvo etc....)

Give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, Courage to change the things which should be changed, and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other. Living one day at a time, Enjoying one moment at a time, Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace....
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life....

Amen

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 07:42   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: The Powerplant Serenity Prayer....

Try this variation, perhaps?

O mighty Neptune/Poseidon/Aquaman:

Give unto me correctly sourced spares aplenty to deal with the fact that my diesel was built on a Monday or Friday, and give unto me money aplenty to purchase such spares made by unionized Europeans.

Give me the courage to attempt, heeding scriptural passages from Sts. Gerr, Calder and Compton, minor repairs when thy diesel knocketh, overheateth or emitteth the black, white or grey smokes of Hell, and yet me diagnose thereby thy auxiliary's ailments.

Let me suffereth not the service of incompetent "experts", sent by the Arch-Lubber himself, who render upon thy auxiliary more harm than good and chargeth me, and oppresseth the rum budget.

May my Racors runneth over with clean fuel, may I understand more fully what is a "banjo washer", and, having understanding, replace thy auxiliary's injectors in serenity and function. May thy pumps always lift, may thy exhaust be sufficiently cooled, and my starter remain uncorroded, to thine greater glory and in hopes of reaching the anchorage before sunset. Amen.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 09:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I find that an "Oh Sweet Jesus, Start baby" works pretty well. Keep it simple you know. There is another I use too, but ladies don't post words like that to CF....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 05:50   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I find that an "Oh Sweet Jesus, Start baby" works pretty well. Keep it simple you know. There is another I use too, but ladies don't post words like that to CF....
Speak softly and carry a big breaker bar? Heh.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 06:01   #5

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

50 years ago one of our family friends, a WWI vet, used to take us fishing in his 20 foot Y-stern freighter canoe powered by an ancient, reluctant Johnson outboard. He once told me that prior to our trips he would hang the Johnson up and threaten it with an axe. Based on the reliability that engine displayed I suspect that he was accurately describing his maintenance program. I have many memories of father, Harold and Madeleine paddling us home from some fishing hole (mother always had the good sense to stay on shore).
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 06:22   #6

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Thank you lord for allowing it sto start...now, I reeeeeeally reeeeally need it to keep going...just long enough to get into the slip! Pleeeeeeease, just a few minutes more.
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 06:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Try this variation, perhaps?

O mighty Neptune/Poseidon/Aquaman:

Give unto me correctly sourced spares aplenty to deal with the fact that my diesel was built on a Monday or Friday, and give unto me money aplenty to purchase such spares made by unionized Europeans.

Give me the courage to attempt, heeding scriptural passages from Sts. Gerr, Calder and Compton, minor repairs when thy diesel knocketh, overheateth or emitteth the black, white or grey smokes of Hell, and yet me diagnose thereby thy auxiliary's ailments.

Let me suffereth not the service of incompetent "experts", sent by the Arch-Lubber himself, who render upon thy auxiliary more harm than good and chargeth me, and oppresseth the rum budget.

May my Racors runneth over with clean fuel, may I understand more fully what is a "banjo washer", and, having understanding, replace thy auxiliary's injectors in serenity and function. May thy pumps always lift, may thy exhaust be sufficiently cooled, and my starter remain uncorroded, to thine greater glory and in hopes of reaching the anchorage before sunset. Amen.
OMG.... This is priceless!!!
Nice job instead of the "Happy cut-n-paste"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
SC.... I have resorted to this identical abbreviated prayer on several occasions.... In cases we call... "you gotta fire right this second or we are in deep doo doo"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
50 years ago one of our family friends, a WWI vet, used to take us fishing in his 20 foot Y-stern freighter canoe powered by an ancient, reluctant Johnson outboard. He once told me that prior to our trips he would hang the Johnson up and threaten it with an axe. Based on the reliability that engine displayed I suspect that he was accurately describing his maintenance program. I have many memories of father, Harold and Madeleine paddling us home from some fishing hole (mother always had the good sense to stay on shore).
You always catch more flies with sugar bob... Good story!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmicro View Post
Thank you lord for allowing it sto start...now, I reeeeeeally reeeeally need it to keep going...just long enough to get into the slip! Pleeeeeeease, just a few minutes more.
Lookee here!!!! Only a few months into the new boat and you already found religion!!! We're all so proud!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 07:11   #8

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Lookee here!!!! Only a few months into the new boat and you already found religion!!! We're all so proud!!!

Happy times!
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote