Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 15:35   #1

The Dreaded Repower

Greetings All;

a buddy of mine and I (both novice sailors and fairly new boat owners) are kicking around the idea of repowering - but novice as we are, we don't really know much about engines. by not really much, i mean to say nothing.

I have heard that Crusader and Volvo (5.7 L) are the best engines available. Is this the case, or am I being misled? any advice at all would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
uncle-baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 15:41   #2

Re: The Dreaded Repower

I see your asking about a 5.7. I'm assuming a gas motor.

The differences in gas motors are limited to the price, warranty, and marinazation equipment.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 15:43   #3

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

And think about the future cost and availability of fuel. The world is changing fast and unpredictively.
Old 04-03-2011, 15:44   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Really depends on a few factors: What type of boat? (b/c of the HP to weight ratio) Intended use? (If you are sailing just locally as opposed to going to desolate places you can afford to use less engine) What engine is currently in the boat? (It is critical to know how much space and what type of exhaust is currently in the boat. Yanmar needs a bigger exhaust then Perkins and sometimes you can't fit it. Also the engine mounts are different for different engines some fit easily others not) I like the customer service aspect of the Beta engine they will make up custom engine mounts for you. Also the service items are on the front of the engine offering easy access and the base engine is a Kubota so you can get those parts easy and cheap.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 15:46   #5

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

It would certainly help to know what type of boat you're re-powering.
I have twin 5.7s, wish they were diesels......LL
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 15:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle-baldy View Post
Greetings All;

a buddy of mine and I (both novice sailors and fairly new boat owners) are kicking around the idea of repowering - but novice as we are, we don't really know much about engines. by not really much, i mean to say nothing.

I have heard that Crusader and Volvo (5.7 L) are the best engines available. Is this the case, or am I being misled? any advice at all would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
What boat/size/cruising grounds etc etc?
Artif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 16:02   #7

it probably would help if i had given you guys that info to start. She's a Regal 2665 the currently has a 280 HP Volvo 5.7 GI engine. At the moment, I will be putting around the Chesapeake until I get my sea legs. I plan to be a little more ambitious as i gain experience, and trailer down to Miami and make the Crossing to Bimini. Before i do that, i may repower.
Old 04-03-2011, 16:26   #8

Quote:
it probably would help if i had given you guys that info to start. She's a Regal 2665 the currently has a 280 HP Volvo 5.7 GI engine. At the moment, I will be putting around the Chesapeake until I get my sea legs. I plan to be a little more ambitious as i gain experience, and trailer down to Miami and make the Crossing to Bimini. Before i do that, i may repower.

you can do aftermarket 5.7's, but stick a VP back in.Down the road someone will wonder why you did the change
Old 04-03-2011, 16:41   #9

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

So why do you want to re-power?
Is the engine bad now, too many hours, or just to have a 'fresh start'?
My engines have 1300 hrs and I'm not afraid to go anywhere, but I'd like to refresh someday just so I won't have to do them after I retire.
The Chevy small blocks are pretty reasonable I think. I plan on buying long blocks and swapping the existing Crusader parts when/if I do them....
Might just go Albin Trawler though......LL
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterHoursNLCT View Post
So why do you want to re-power?
Is the engine bad now, too many hours, or just to have a 'fresh start'?
My engines have 1300 hrs and I'm not afraid to go anywhere, but I'd like to refresh someday just so I won't have to do them after I retire.
The Chevy small blocks are pretty reasonable I think. I plan on buying long blocks and swapping the existing Crusader parts when/if I do them....
Might just go Albin Trawler though......LL

the engine doesn't have excessive hours on it, and runs fine. i just was thinking before i attempt my first Gulf Stream crossing that i would start fresh. not to say that a new engine wouldn't fail, but the likelihood is much less.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:14   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Other than the risers and exhausts which rust out and go pop before your very eyes, these engines are just thirsty rather than unreliable. I would suggest that they will fail because the electrics get damp/wet, batteries go flat etc, rather than anything major. Afterall you have enough of these small block engines in vehicles.

However, the rate at which they use petrol is breath taking. Our 275hp carb engine would use 90 litres per hour and one of the reasons we bought a yacht and thank god we did.

You map find that the latest fuel injected a better choice if you decide to change. Mercruiser have MPI injection engines but there will be a volvo equivalent.

This side of the pond there would be case for fitting a volvo turbo diesel.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:34   #12

Quote:

the engine doesn't have excessive hours on it, and runs fine. i just was thinking before i attempt my first Gulf Stream crossing that i would start fresh. not to say that a new engine wouldn't fail, but the likelihood is much less.
i'd look for some more complete diagnostics before just "dropping in" a new engine.

rig up a way for a 20hp "ish" OB on the swim platform. One that can run on the main tank of fuel. A single engine crossing is a no-no
Old 05-03-2011, 18:14   #13
ATC
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18' Banno USA Old World

To repower with diesels will require deep pockets.

I don't remember if the 280 Regals come with twin fuel tanks or one. However, if twin tanks, keep an eye on the fuel quailty. We find when servicing saddle type tanks, one will have a more advanced degrading of the fuel. To maintain the gas engines for reliable use, keep the fuel fresh and treated. Avoid Ethanol blended fuels and keep an eye on the Racor filters.

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"
ATC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower