Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-04-2015, 06:10   #46

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: The case of the intermittent water cooling system

Thanks! That last post was a bit melodramatic, forgive me, I'm part of the emo generation. That bolt end should just fall out with the filter, and that's a simple enough replacement. Probably working on it past midnight and again at 4 am was a recipe for messing up. Fingers crossed for an easy repair, if not, I'd budgeted an outboard bracket and outboard, and have ex-calif's excellent thread to refer back to! Was hoping to get the 15 hp in the bahamas, but a long shaft 9.9 in the US will be just as nice Side benefit of solving the outboard vs rowing dinghy debate as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 10-04-2015, 07:15   #47
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
.......... Time for the pros.

I agree. Bring in a pro before you do any more damage. And be sure to tell him everything you did. It will help him fix it faster if he doesn't have to stumble upon something you might have done wrong.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:21   #48

Yup, I've kept a list, and zboss was kind enough to refer me to a diesel mechanic in boot key who will come to the boat. So hopefully she will soon be on the up and up. I'll definitely need a new supply of adzorbs though.

Old 10-04-2015, 13:23   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Well, end of that story. Well and truly buggered now. Figured I'd try all the filters again, and when bleeding the secondary I snapped the bolt off. Left over bit is just floating in the cartridge housing. Time for the pros.

Dang!

My rule of thumb is "tighten until it snaps then back off a half turn."

Really, I hope you can get it sorted out and that repairing your diesel turns out to be much less expensive than an outboard.
Old 10-04-2015, 13:44   #50

Ha! I figured I might as well be sure it wasn't letting in air! Just kidding; I'm sure it was bound to happen eventually with me working on it. Everything spurted fuel as soon as it was open, minus the injectors which needed the pump, so it's hard to believe it's air. I'll update for anyone's future benefit when we discover the issue.
Safely tied up at the ball now, sadly my insurance will receive a bill, so apologies to all of you who may see a $0.01 premium increase next year Did my best to fix her, and sailed her all the way up to boot key entrance before calling the tow; so at least it won't be an extra $0.02 premium!

Old 13-04-2015, 17:31   #51

So, two days later we've tested all the hose lines, pulled and tested the glow plugs, broken down and reassembled the racor filter housing, sprayed sea foam and wd-40 into the glowplug holes and turned the engine over to prevent any corrosion from the hydrolock, and put a new bleed bolt on.
Still, no start. Tomorrow, the fuel pump comes off and hopefully we'll get a chance to compression test.

Old 13-04-2015, 18:38   #52

Boat: Liberty 458

Sea water cooled is a cheap fussy solution. Overheat it and you'll precipitate salts that can grow and dissolve rapidly. Running that cool is also going to be hard on the engine.

Reconfigure with a heat exchanger and close loop the engine cooling side. Also either fit a thermostat or correctly sized restrictor.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-04-2015, 18:39   #53

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3GAC View Post
My smaller sailboat is an O'Day 28 with same Universal 5411 Universal, which by the way is made by Kubota and you can get the usual basic parts from any Kubota tractor dealer in a pinch. The boat originally did not have a raw water filter and with the Chesapeake Bay's jellyfish and shallow areas I started to have to flush out the engine's raw water system mid season. One thing I noticed was I could flush from the normal water pump">raw water pump direction and could get gunk out and clear water pretty quick, but when I reversed the flow and forced the water the opposite direction... a whole lot more gunk came out. Thinking it was now surely clean I went back and flushed from the original direction just to check and surprisingly a lot more gunk came out. I had to repeat this process about 10 times before the flush was immediately clean and stayed clean in both directions. I never tried acid, but may if problem returns. But since I added a raw filter to keep out the bigger things, I haven't had flow issues for 3 years.

FYI- There is an excellent marina operator/ diesel mechanic up on Lake Superior area I found on google search (Google: 'small diesel repair') that specializes in small diesels, especially the 5411. He has a fresh water/ coolant conversion kit for these small raw water engines for about $400 that that mounts right on the engine using existing bolts that will greatly increase useful life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Sea water cooled is a cheap fussy solution. Overheat it and you'll precipitate salts that can grow and dissolve rapidly. Running that cool is also going to be hard on the engine.

Reconfigure with a heat exchanger and close loop the engine cooling side. Also either fit a thermostat or correctly sized restrictor.

Old 13-04-2015, 19:45   #54

I'm definitely planning on looking into the freshwater conversion. First I need to get the engine running again and figure out how much life it may have in it.
Another fun thing happened today that I forgot to mention. When we pulled the glow plugs, we cleaned and tested them as well and they worked great. When we switched them on after reinstalling them though, they shorted and blew the 60 amp main fuse. I was watching them the whole time and there was no arc, spark, smoke, burned wire, or sign of scorching. So, no 12v power until I can find one of these monster buss fuses!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1428975949.897583.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	100414

Old 14-04-2015, 09:11   #55

Have everything off from the manifold to the lift pump, so I don't think it's back pressure.

Old 15-04-2015, 10:48   #56

Engine's running! Have her stripped down to the block so the reassembly process can now begin. Also have a new water pump on order.
The first non start was probably due to a sludgy sight bowl on the racor or an oil clogged air filter. The rest was either a complication of hydrolocking and the resulting flooding of the cylinders with wd40 that I did. Couple tricks with the wd. Didn't have to pull the injectors, just pulled the glow plugs and let the wd run down onto the tops and into the cylinders. This was suggested by don here in boot key whose timely advice is much appreciated! The first can of wd40 wasn't new, and sprayed mostly propellant I think. The second can I got a couple days later was new, and was able to flood the glow plug holes (the angle is really awkward due to the injector tubing). I'm picking up a couple squirt guns to solve this problem in future. Spinning the engine by hand moved most everything out.

Old 15-04-2015, 10:49   #57

Also, it's not shown in my engine manual, but glow plugs have a little rubber bushing separating the wire stock from the glow plug not. Without this, the plug will short to ground.

Old 15-04-2015, 11:39   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Congratulations.
Old 15-04-2015, 11:40   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Congratulations!

Isn't getting an engine running after you thought there wasn't any life left such a great feeling?
Old 15-04-2015, 11:56   #60

It is! I was pricing out outboards last night after pickling the cylinders and doing my taxes, and it all worked out for the best in the end So glad the old girl is still running.
Thanks for all the help and support on here everyone!

Tags
cooling, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: