Thanks for all the help throughout this process, everyone. A couple of weeks ago, after months of applying penetrating oil
, the prop shaft slid free. Yesterday, I painted the bottom and had some extra time to lift
jackets in the manifold are visibly split - though I think this might have been the result of trying to free the epoxied-in manifold bolts with a blowtorch, as I inspected the business end of the manifold pretty closely with bright lights back in April as I cut gaskets to fit it and applied RTV to it, and it was fine then. The corrosion
between the head
and the block is strong enough to hold the engine
entirely suspended without any supporting bolts (I put the remaining bolts in with a half-inch gap as insurance
in case the head
and block did separate).
To get her out, I levered the front up with a chain hoist and a chain between the two front mounts, slid some two by fours under, and then it was an easy job of hauling her forward (while keeping the rear mounts on the tracks) until I could pull her out all the way with the hoist. The wood beam I had the hoist connected to slid easily along the companionway
top, so I could easily reposition the engine on to the railroad ties I had set out.
Next - lifting the engine into my truck with the main halyard
, fixing the shaft in place, and splashing! Thanks again for all the help - and happy to have gotten closer to solving the mystery!