well today was a good day for fixings, heh.
1) took apart a portion of the exaust and found that the open/shut valve for the exaust is actually a little swinging one-way valve gate. Inside this valve, when upright, a little door swings open when pressure is at one side, and swings shut when there is no pressure. That was frozen open... so it was operating incorrectly. Sprayed a bunch of WD-40 all over it and let it sit. Now it works as it should, and the exaust seems more forceful when shooting out the back
2) Cleared out the gas tank breather hose... there was so much nasty sludge in there it wasnt funny
at all. defiantly wasnt allowing air to go through it.
3) Installed new spark plugs that are one level hotter than the originals.
4) Made a ghetto-rigged PCV valve that directs the air coming out of the oil
filler cap back into the spark arrestor next to the carb. So now the smoke is simply recirculated directly back into the intake... There is actually a "real" PCV valve for the atomic four that can be bought, but I will try this for now and see what happens
ran good at neutral, revved it up for a bit and it didnt die (that was the biggest problem, and it may be fixed). Still smoking, so at some point will need to fix up the engine
- but that can wait until winter haha. This is the time for sailing.
Tomorrow I will take it out and putter around, see what happens, see if it dies.
GOD I hope not.