Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2012, 12:30   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
TCW-3 OB Oil as an Additive to Diesel Fuel ?

I did do a search for this topic but found nothing directly related to my question.

When I was studying for my degree in Diesel Technology, my instructor for 'Fuel Delivery Systems' said to keep the fuel fastidiously clean and "treat it like a sore dick and don't f**k with it." He had very colorful language but what he was trying to get across was his point that fuel additives are unnecessary.

However, I just heard a factory-trained Volvo technician recommend to add TCW-3 outboard oil as a diesel fuel additive at a ratio of 100:1. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Personally, I swear by Stanadyne's fuel additive, the teachings of my instructor notwithstanding.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 12:43   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: TCW-3 OB Oil as an Additive to Diesel Fuel?

How about Marvel Mystery Oil?
Old 18-01-2012, 12:58   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

It really depends on the engine. older models like our Ford Lehman can benefit from a little extra lubrication in the fuel. We use marvel Mystery Oil because the expert on our engine recommends it. He was the engineer responsible for the marine version of the Ford Lehman. Engines like Volvo probably get little benefit from an additive like this and newer engines might have the warranty voided if using this method. I think the best answer is to talk to someone familiar with the engine you want to do this to and that you trust. With today's diesel I don't know that there is much if any benefit to something like this and as for using TCW-3?????????? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 16:45   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
How about Marvel Mystery Oil?
If you have a gasoline-powered Atomic 4, sure. People put in a couple of capfuls per tank in large numbers. Me, I only use it to fill the spark plug holes at winterization. I give it a few cranks to get to the piston rings and it all seems to make firing up in the spring a little easier (if colourfully smoky).

But I have never heard of it used in diesels.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 16:59   #5

Boat: Sailboat

Modern diesel fuel has reduced lubrication qualities. Lower sulfur content is one of the issues. Modern diesel engines are designed for this. Older engines might benefit from a bit of extra oil in their fuel. Not sure why it has to be 2-cycle oil, maybe it burns with less smoke.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 17:02   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

There is lots of discussion of this over at Bob is the Oil Guy, which is the go-to place for everything to do with engines and oil. Here's one link to one discussion, but there have been many over the years. The theory is that TCW3 is meant to be burned, like in 2-stroke outboards, and therefore does not leave behind deposits when it is added to the fuel. Today's low-sulfur diesel has less inherent lubricity than diesel used to, so some believe there are advantages to using an upper cylinder lubricant like TCW3 in the fuel. I use this stuff in my fuel. Discussing fuel additives is like discussing religion.
Old 19-01-2012, 05:09   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: TCW-3 OB Oil as an Additive to Diesel Fuel ?

Oh, oil, you are so very, very big...
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 17:38   #8

Re: TCW-3 OB Oil as an Additive to Diesel Fuel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
However, I just heard a factory-trained Volvo technician recommend to add TCW-3 outboard oil as a diesel fuel additive at a ratio of 100:1. Has anyone ever heard of this?....
Yes.

This is a well known issue that has been discussed on many RV forums. There were quite a few issues with older Cummins engine in motorhomes when the new ultra low sulfur was forces upon us. Fuel system seals were not compatible with the new blend and they were swelling and popping within a few hundred gallons after the switch.

The new extra low sulfur diesel fuel does not have the same lubricating properties of the old dirty high sulfur fuel. Therefore, the older, pre catalytic convertor diesel engines will benefit from the addition lubrication of the 2 stroke oil.

In a non cat diesel, you can run old engine oil (properly filtered of course), used restaurant fryer oil, etc.
Brian in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 17:46   #9
GSP

I use an additive called XFT. It lubricates, removes water and will keep gas or diesel good for years. And increases my fuel economy.
GSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel