I finally put the boat in in-water winter storage
and took the fuel system apart to get at the leak. I had to remove one entire fuel pipe to be able to turn a wrench on the suspect inject pump "fitting" (don't know the word for the part).
I got everything apart after carefully cleaning
that area and set apart the parts and took pix as I proceeded.
When I got to the suspect o-ring it was clearly deformed and seemed to be lying over the threads and not in the groove meant for it. Hmmm That looked very suspicious. I had sent for the part but the Volvo
people sent the aluminum
pressure gaskets/seals and so I had to get the 15mm O ring. I sent a photo
of the assembly with the faulty o ring on top of the parts diagram with a notation and arrow showing the part needed - two days later it arrived - $2.50 per o ring. I ordered 3 spares and then set about to put it back together using new aluminum gaskets. Getting the pipes on in some cases was much harder then getting them off, but after struggling with alignment I got it all done. I then proceeded to clean up the bilge
and before bleeding and firing the engine
and I discovered a spring that had fallen out from the pump assembly. Oh Piss!. I unassembled the whole thing, inserted and was about to insert the spring and checked the blow up diagram and noticed there was a tiny washer (you can see it part #24 with part # 23 at the top of the spring part # 16. YIKES where was that? It wasn't in the bilge
. I took a magnifying glass and a very bright light and peered into the pump and saw the bugger on its edge laying where the threads would engage. Getting it out was a bitch because it was so tiny - perhaps 3mm in diameter at most and very thin. I got it out with a tiny screw driver and it was undamaged.
I then assembled all the parts once again, bled the air from the system and then cranked the engine. It had been sitting unused for a month and more than a week with the fuel pump and pipes unassembled.
It shot out a healthy amount of gray.. even black smoke and then compression
kicked in and it was off and running. Down I went with a high intensity light to look for leaks
. I let the engine run for a half hour to get it up to normal operating temps. The air temps were in the low 40s. No sign of leaks at all.
It took a few hours to take apart and clean up, and a bit more to put it back together, plus all the research
and fretting - lets call it a day.
I suspect I had been running on less than 3 cylinders because of the fuel problem. Engine sounds fine now and she is winterized.
More projects on the list await.