Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 13:59   #1

Boat: searching...
Tachometer (Flywheel) Sync

Hi,
I have a Yanmar 4JH3E. My tachometer broke and I needed a replacement. I ordered it in an Yanmar Shop - special order as it was for a Sealand Panel (at least I think thats the name - its an IP).

So far so good. I connected it and it worked - but I'm pretty sure it shows less rpm as effective.

I was now preparing for the task of synchronizing it. Checking the web I found the following statement: Some Yanmar engines have their tachometer driven directly from their engine's flywheel and do not use the white alternator stator wire to provide any input to the tachometer at all - so no adjustment should be required. Even the Tacho states calibrated for an JH4 Engine.

Can I still calibrate or should I not touch and live with the lower RPM?

Thanks folks.
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 15:23   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Tachometer (Flywheel) Sync

If you not sure if it's the same tach I'd take your old one with when purchasing.
They may have sold you the wrong style (Flywheel vs Alternator).

Which do you have? Alt or FW driven?
If you have the FW driven then there should be a sender, on the starter side of the motor, screwed into the bell housing right over the FW. But most Yanmars I've seen have the alt driven tachs.

Some flywheel actuated tachs have a switch on the back for the proper number of teeth.