Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-10-2011, 08:40   #1

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
Switched-Out My Fuel-Filtering Design

got rid of the cartridge filters ccs1136. The rubber grommets wear, the can rusts, the filter lets dirt in and they cost $20 each.

the new system uses spin on ones.

after a lot of looking around and calling etc... I found a good CHEAP working solution.

Use a wix 24001 cast aluminum filter base and a spin on wix 24348 filter 10 microns.
You can get these spin on water separating filters cheap such as case of 12 for 78$, that is around $5 each!

The filter heads I bought 2 off Amazon for $6 and 2 filters for $5 but got the last 2 cheap ones from them.

Typically though the filter bases go for 15 to 17 each

here for example each filter is only $5 and are rated at 75psi
Wix 24348 & Napa 4348 Fuel Filter: FleetFilter Secure Online Store

Wix 24348 Case of 12

example for the bases made of cast aluminum
Wix 24001 & Napa 4001 Hydraulic Filter: FleetFilter Secure Online Store

Now you might wonder how to mount these and it is deceptively simple. Normally they go into a supported pipe, BUT you can take some 3/8 eye bolts and mount them using the eyes to hold the base, one on each side of the base. You likely have to mod the eyes make them bigger but should be easy with a torch. At least I think you can, I will have to see when I get them.

Wix has this same filter base with a 3/4 or 7/8 thread instead of the 24001 with 1 inch which I will need to use a bushing.

I was looking at the wix detroit diesel setup and each of those filters locally is $26 at Napa
wix 33418.

the reason these wix 24348 are cheap is they must sell a lot of these as they are used in pump dispensing apps at gas stations for diesel and gasoline. And the wix 33418 has a 245psi burst rating

I found the smaller thread wix base number 24034 has a 3/4 inch thread
WIX Filters : Filter Look-Up

my other choice was this but more expensive and filters to 12 microns. plus the filter heads go for $40 each.
Amazon.com: Wix 33418 Spin-On Fuel and Water Separator Filter, Pack of 1: Automotive

you can order those also by a case at 11$ per which is still cheaper than what I was paying but still twice what the wix 24348 sells for.

The wix 33418 has a higher burst pressure and was made for Detroit diesel apps.

The wix 24348 is around 6 per filter by the case, made for gas and diesel dispensing pumps and has a high flow rate filters at 10 microns and is also a water separating filter.

On another forum someone said you can also match a wix 24348 to a wix 24768 base.

2 Micron filter mounting options - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

and describes combining the 10 micron with this 2 micron afterwards

Quote:
there is a ten times better way to do it. series a wix 24348 filter separator with a 33528 2 micron filter. mount it just forward of the fuel tank cut the line from the tank at this point and connect to filters leave the stock filter in the housing for safety. the napa base for 1st filter is 4768 and second is 4770

Old 14-10-2011, 09:06   #2

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Re: switched out my fuel filtering design

Most commercial boats running diesels spend a couple of thousand dollars on a fuel cleaning system and are very happy doing so. Racor 900s cost $250 and the filters about $12, then go to 10 micron and 2 micron spin cartridges, The whole system with two 900s will run about $2000 installed. This is not where you want to cheap out.

Old 14-10-2011, 09:39   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Re: switched out my fuel filtering design

Looks like a bang-up good job to me......
Where do you see the problem with this set up lorenzo b?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 09:53   #4

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: Switched-Out My Fuel-Filtering Design

Very Nice, replaced my old Racor with the wix 33418 spin on. Fleet Filter is great!
Old 14-10-2011, 10:00   #5

just because a wix 24348 is so inexpensive, dont let that put you off. they are that cheap because of the volume sales, so many gas stations all over the country use these filters and must go through a lot of them. The price difference had me wondering so that is what I think.

They are either 75 psi or 100 psi rated, the bases are rated at 100 psi.
So the spin on filters must be close to that. Either 75 or 100 psi, either is way over what the boat system will reach.

Quote:
For fluid flow rates up to 12 gallons per minute, with a maximum working pressure of 100 psi.
and

Quote:
Nominal Micron Rating: 10
Note: Spin-On Filter & Drain Diesel or Gasoline Dispensing Pumps, remove dirt & water. Micron Rating: 10 Max Flow: 15 gpm
Old 14-10-2011, 10:04   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i had the wix type system . then when we could not easily and readily observe the fuel in the filter nor readily remove the filter for speedy change ou tin a sea, the decision was to go to a series of cheapo fuel filters thru whoich one is able to see the dirty fuel and easily remove the filter proximal to the tank. i am now seeking a racor system so i can more readily seek and destroy the dirty fuel problems one gets in places even with a baja fuel filter. we had to bleed the system 21 times in 1500 miles even tho fuel looked clean with the sloshing the tank went thru as we sailed.
the wix type system is very organized looking, but once off shore an d in seas and the fuel is disturbed, it isnt fun any more changing out the filters and finding water that is not able to be removed easily from the filters. with racor, water is easily removed by opening the canister from the bottom to drain it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 10:05   #7

I don't see a problem. I'm new to this game and when I try to figure out which way to go with a system I walk over to the fishing boat or tug boat and take a look at what they do. These guys have a lifetime of experience running diesels and are happy to tell you all about it. They all seem to have two Racor 900s 30 micron and 10 and 2 micron spinons and they all told me not to screw around trying to save a dollar here or there. In my two years experience running some 6000 knts I have been shut down with just one Racor and have added a second.
It may very well be that some other setup works just as well, or not.
When I did loose power, it was on the ICW under a bridge that had opened for me.
Old 14-10-2011, 10:06   #8

Quote:
water is easily removed by opening the canister from the bottom to drain it.
The wix 24348 has a water valve on the bottom is that not good enough?
Old 14-10-2011, 10:12   #9

The Racor lets you do a visual inspection for dirt and water which I like.
Old 14-10-2011, 10:12   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

the only way to find out is by using it and seeing how it works on your boat. it might just be fine. i had to trash my wix type system as it didnt work in my situation. i am going to racor, as was suggested by a diesel mechanic/captain/ fisherman friend who helped sail to mazatlan and helped with the situation of engine stoppage while underway.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 10:21   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i like being able to see in the bowl, but frankly, though the racors let you get any water out, but the debris doesnt seem to come out so you have to disasemble the whole thing. What a mess. They need to redesign so the clear bowl screws off! then again, i just dont allow water in my fuel. One of the first things i do when I ge a boat is find out what's in the tank, having it polished if necessary. once clean there is no reason water should be in there unless you seldom use your boat. rust and debris is another thing, but that stuff seldom clogs the filter... unless you have a huge algae problem.... If you want to see your fuel condition with the wix you could add a simple glass bowl with no filter for that. there s alot more filter area in that wix than a 500 racor!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 19:09   #12

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

I use a Fleetguard water separating fuel filter befor my Racor 500. The truck filter has a drain to check occationally for any water and if I had a lot it would show in my Racor. I also have a vacuum guage to indicate any restrictions. So far I'm quite happy with my arrangement. I figure all those truckers rely on them so they are likely to handle the needs of my 30 hp Yanmar! Maybe no the best arrangement but it works. Cheers!
Old 15-10-2011, 19:48   #13

Lorenzo and Zeehag are spot on, Racors were designed for boats. Here is what you can do with a racor water seperator , that you cannot do with a spin on. When water gets in the bowl and it rises to the 12volt contacts it will set off a visual alarm with a buzzer. This lets me know immeaditly that I have a slug of water in filter. I turn off that eng and go to the eng room, turning off the fuel supply to the filter and also to the eng (this isolates the racor and keeps any lines from draining) I then open the racor drain, very little will drain out untill I loosen the T handle breaking the vacume, then the water will drain out. When the water is gone and good fuel is left we close the drain and completly remove the top, which lets us refill the filter with clean fuel. Reinstalling the cap, then opening the 2 closed valves and the eng is ready to restart. No bleeding of lines, it is a very simple 3 min job. Changing the filter itself is still very easy since you have the top off already, you just need to drain the fuel down farther, I use a recycled 1 qt oil container to hold my clean fuel in to top off the racor. Study the racor design and you will understand why mariners depend on it.
Old 17-10-2011, 05:14   #14

typically on spin on filters, I prefill them by pouring fuel in at the top anyway to have a lot less air left inside.

You can do all of the draining and filling of a wix setup the same way as you described on a racor, simply place an output tee in the inlet port with a square plug to fill the filter. Add what ever valves you want one side or the other. That part is not too hard to imitate.
The water sensing is a nice feature.
The water sensing I looked around and found a 1/8 NPT electronic water sensor by diesel craft which could be screwed into the 1/8 npt pipe thread at the bottom of the filter by way of the drain port, which is not as convenient as having it already made into the design. Functional but some people wont bite.

OR, a creative person could design their own water monitoring bowl to place in front of the wix filter using a water sense probe.
Putting the probe higher up means more water in the bowl before an alarm lights up.
For that all you would need is a fuel cannister cartridge type filter without a filter inside and drill and thread a hole in the side of the cannister, or make up something using pipe fittings and a tee that creates a large area under the inlet and outlet to collect water where the probe would go.

http://www.dieselcraft.com/fuel-water-sensor.php
If we dont care about costs then none of this will make any difference and to some boaters $2000 is chump change to spend on filters. And some people will find fault in the attempt.

I already have two cartridge filter housings with heads I am going to discard. Made for ccs1136 fuel filters. They have a thick steel shell to which I could mount the probe. I have all the welding and fab skills to easily accomplish that. And it would give me a large water bowl in front of the wix.
Old 19-10-2011, 10:12   #15

A couple pics of the new filters combined with the old.
The new filter heads are cast iron and appear to be treated to a black rust resistant finish all over, in and out, not a paint, perhaps a phosphor treatment.

I plan to use the old cartridge housings as a prefilter water separator. Not neccessary but can keep the old filters in there and even rinse them out.

The bushings are 1 by 3/8 which Lowes has ($1.50 each) and Home Depot did not. Advantage of this busing is its nice round shape which eye hook fits over perfectly. Had to put a bushing to drop from 3/8 to i/4 at $2.24 each, wish they had a single 1 by 1/4 bushing.

The bent hook is 1/2 inch by 8 inch (strong hook) which I modified using a torch, bent into a pattern which will work with the mounting bracket of the old filter. Had to open the eye with the torch and then reformed into a perfect sized circle using torch, hammer and socket as a pattern.

This will be very easy to mount on the boat. Drill 1/2 inch hole for bent hook
Attach hook with washers and nuts on each side, then slide filter end into hook and bolt filter bracket to boat.

Tags
fuel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: