Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2014, 14:58   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Suzuki dt8c won't start.

Hopefully a filter is clogged. Sometimes a screen is in the fuel tank or pump. Maybe a fuel shut-off valve is closed under the tank. Are you using an auxillary tank? Make sure the squeeze ball is really priming the carb. If there is nothing in the way of removing the carb you are lucky. Get the engine away from water and make sure there is a tarp or something to catch the parts that fall. Some screws will fall under the carb into a place that might swallow them for good. Take a few pictures if needed as you go, use an egg carton and a sharpie to organize and label things, don't knock the egg carton over, maybe use baggies. There may be a way to drop the bowl shaped cup on the bottom of the carb without removing the whole carb. Check you-tube for a motor like yours. Find the fuel line that feeds the carb and fill it with gas or gas/oil mix required using a funnel or syringe. If it runs for a little bit your carb is good.
CptLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 20:45   #17

Boat: csy 37

You may find a plate with year of mfg if you keep looking, mine was just above the swivel bracket.

Smoking might be caused by excessive oil being pumped into the fuel mixture.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 04:43   #18

hi guys, abit concerned about the smoke on this engine.it is white. now i dont know what it means on an outboard engine but on a car this would point to water getting in the chambers?

Also just found out the guy i bought this engine off was using a tank with the oil and fuel already mixed. would he have done something to disconnect oil injection system on the outboard?

thanks
Attached Files
welshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 05:14   #19

hi guys.

for the gaskets off the carb, can i use gasket paste? otherwise ill have to wait for new gaskets to arrive from america which could take a while.

thanks
Old 21-11-2014, 05:29   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Usually the paper gaskets can be removed with a razor blade without tearing. If torn I'd be more inclined to cut my own than use gasket compound.
That smoke does look like water vapor, does it smell excessively rich? Strong raw gas odor? Could it be fuel?
Myself I mistrust auto mixing of oil and fuel, I pre-mix. Yes the OP may well have disconnected the oil tank and pump, or maybe just ran 100 to 1 in the tank for a little extra oil, some engines recommend this for break-in, can you ask him?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 10:18   #21

UPDATE-

Hi guys. ok yesterday i took the carb off opened up the float chamber. fuel came out so fuel is getting in Absolutely clean as anything.

i fitted a new fuel filter on and fitted the carb back on. I also made sure there were no blocks in the fuel pipes to the carb, nothing.

managed to get her started after, after alot of hard work. she ran for 30 seconds and guess what cut out again. after struggling again she started up again. same thing.

I am really struggling now, don't know what else to try. thinking i might have to pay someone to have a look at it.

Really confused. fuel is definitely getting into carb it stinks.

any more ideas guys.

many thanks
Old 21-11-2014, 10:24   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshy View Post
UPDATE-

Hi guys. ok yesterday i took the carb off opened up the float chamber. fuel came out so fuel is getting in Absolutely clean as anything.

i fitted a new fuel filter on and fitted the carb back on. I also made sure there were no blocks in the fuel pipes to the carb, nothing.

managed to get her started after, after alot of hard work. she ran for 30 seconds and guess what cut out again. after struggling again she started up again. same thing.

I am really struggling now, don't know what else to try. thinking i might have to pay someone to have a look at it.

Really confused. fuel is definitely getting into carb it stinks.

any more ideas guys.

many thanks
You have to clean the jets.
Old 21-11-2014, 12:07   #23

If the carb is getting flooded with fuel its the float assembly in the fuel bowl. Theres a float with attached hardware that allows the float to pivot up and down. Then there is a needle that controls the flow of fuel into the fuel bowl. This needle is opened and closed by the float moving up and down in the bowl as it fills and empties. The float needs to travel up far enough to close the needle valve and down enough to open the valve. If it doesnt close the needle valve the carb will flood with gas. A service manual will tell you how to adjust it.

Like A64 I dont like oil tanks on 2 stroke outboards. I would also have shut it down and done my own fuel/oil mixing.
Old 21-11-2014, 12:27   #24
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Possibly fuel pump diaphragm and/or valves. Carb fills via priming bulb but engine mount pump won't supply fuel when running. Try continuously squeezing the primer bulb once running and see if it keeps running. The other thing to check is suction leak on the fuel line.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 14:38   #25

Here's a link to a carburetor diagram which is probably yours, or similar -

1990 DT8CNL Suzuki Marine Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

Number 8 in the diagram is the needle valve i mentioned. While you're at it, check the needle valve and the seat to make sure nothing is blocking it and holding it open, and that the needle is not deformed, allowing the bowl to flood.

I don't use any kind of sealant on the gaskets, and i'm pretty sure it's not recommended by the manufacturer. Use a new gasket but in a pinch i've used the old gasket, sometimes several times.

NoTies mentioned the fuel pump. That can also go bad and it's not a big job to rebuild it if you have a rebuild kit. But I don't think that's the problem because you said that you had too much gas in the carb, which is the opposite of what would happen if the fuel pump wasn't working.

OTOH, i'm not a mechanic....
Old 22-11-2014, 06:18   #26

thanks for replies guys.

whats the best way to remove the float pin.?

which way do i push it out?

thanks
Old 22-11-2014, 06:50   #27

hi guys managed to remove float. took jets out you can see through them so they are clean.

anything else to check. iv checked the float needle it all seems ok.

thanks
Old 22-11-2014, 06:59   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd be concerned with all that white "smoke", it didn't look good to me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 07:09   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd be concerned with all that white "smoke", it didn't look good to me.
i was concerned. cud be thats its just getting cold now?

or you reckon water could be getting in the chambers?

thanks
Old 22-11-2014, 07:18   #30

With the float reassembled, but the bowl still off, turn the carb right side up. the float should fall to it's lowest position. Observe that the needle valve is down - open. then push the float up with your finger. Observe that the needle valve is all way up - closed.

You might also check the float itself. Make sure it floats in a cup of water or gas. Sometimes they get 'waterlogged' and won't float in the bowl so won't rise up to close the needle valve. Not a common problem, however.

Also, reassemble the carb back on the engine. Crank it without trying to actually start it - maybe pull the wire off the plug or use the stop switch if you have one. What you are trying to do is to get fuel to flow in to the carb. If the float/needle is working the carb will not overflow.