Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2009, 02:39   #16

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I now have fuel running out of the choke at the front of the carb when the motor is tilted forward. Any idea how to stop that happening. (easiest way is to not tilt it
Old 12-04-2009, 00:11   #17

I recently purchased a early/mid eighties suzuki 2 hp. Tried for first time.same problem. Cuts out but starts again easy but cuts out again.
My partner is Japanese so she rang tech engineer in Japan to ask mix ratio. He said 25:1.
I bought high quality marine 2 stroke and was told better quality oil than usual so 50:1 was the mix.
Also got a Seagull 2 stoke outboard with a recommended 10:1 mix . so I did 20:1.
same problem. starts but open throttle cuts out.
I thought blocked needle jet but no.
couldit be just the mix for these problems ??

will try and let you know. hope don't blow any motors up
varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:05   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
It is essential to turn the fule off and run the bowl dry if the engine is going to sit for more than a couple of days. The gas in the bowl will evaporate but the oil won't.

That is good information about the float getting heavy. Thanks.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 00:15   #19

BIT CONFUSING, ANY ADVANCE ON THESE LAST POSTS. sorry, one post says 100:1, a few later it is 25:1, which is it for real (as per the book)?
allananicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:11   #20

Fuel/oil mix

As an old motorcycle racer, who rode mostly two strokes, I have never believed in the 100 to 1 mix. Several mfgs. did this for a while, but all went away from the 100 to 1. I have a little DT2 for my dink. I use synthetic oil only and mix at 50 to 1. Engine runs perfect, never a problem. I would try 50 to 1 first and see if that works. The synthetic two stroke oils are also less likely to foul a plug. With all that being said, usually a too rich oil mix will foul the plug. I wonder if you are maybe not using a fuel stabilizer, and the fuel is just getting bad. The gasoline we get these days, doesn't last too long.
Nice N Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:38   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice N Easy View Post
I would try 50 to 1 first and see if that works. The synthetic two stroke oils are also less likely to foul a plug. With all that being said, usually a too rich oil mix will foul the plug. I wonder if you are maybe not using a fuel stabilizer, and the fuel is just getting bad. The gasoline we get these days, doesn't last too long.
Agreed but also wonder if the engine is only being used for short hops it isn't getting a good run to get hot enough and burn the plug clean. We have a little Tohatsu 3.5 which does the 100 yards to the boat but never gets warm. A good blast every so often clears out the carb and cleans the plug.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:47   #22

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Runs good for a little while then dies equals fuel starvation. I always check the simplest things first. Air vent on the tank is the biggest culprit. Then fuel lines.
Good luck on sorting it out.
regards,
Old 04-01-2010, 14:29   #23

tHANKS nICE n EASY, Just what I was after, I will try 50:1. I havn't had the motor long, but it is an old model, was running but then wouldn't start, was a fouled plug, then with fresh fuel and oil wouldn't start for a while, then decided to run, but only for a minute or so, plug not fouled, but wet, I suspect too much oil, I have drained it and will start again with fresh fuel/oil at 50:1, and a fresh spark plug see if it works then, try and get a bit of heat into it. I still regard outboard motors as 2 stk lawnmowers without wheels, - almost bl;oody useless., but it was a gift and I will give it another try.

cheers
allananicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 11:02   #24

Boat: heritage 35 zigzagn
Send a message via Skype™ to Zigzagn
I have a 83 DT2 which is not pumping any water and heats up. what is the best way to get at the water pump thanks
Zigzagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 13:40   #25

Boat: Gulfstar MK1 43'
Re: Suzuki dt2 Outboard

Old thread but it is 70:1, www.funpartsxpress.com/docs/parts/Parts_DT2.pdf
khhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 15:37   #26

Boat: Farr 1020

Older two stroke engines that don't run much and rarely get up to the optimum running temperature often suffer from the engine being unable to "breath" properly. This is due to the exhaust ports blocking with exhaust residue (carbon/oil) burnt onto the exhaust openings.

Clean out the exhaust passes and give your older engine a new lease of life.

Cheers
Acushla
Acushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 15:46   #27

Boat: Caliber 40

I and another long term cruiser both have 2 HP Suzukis that have been used for thousands of hours since 1995. they still runs like a top and start first pull every time.

We both have always used 100:1 - hardly any smoke and never overheats.

It always drains fuel from the carb if I tip the engine up to get the prop out of the water. It has been that way since we bought it new in July 1995. Just shutoff the petcock every time before you tip the engine up.

And - as said above run the carb dry before storing it for more than a couple days.

It is very important that at least once a year you remove the prop, put the lower unit in a 5 gallon bucket of water with 1/2 gallon of vinegar and run it for 10 minutes to get the dried salt out of the cooling passages. I only do mine every other year but I keep a close eye on the cooling water outflow (really outspurt)

Just came back from the outboard shop where I purchased a new petcock for the Suzuki. They maintain hundreds of engines at several rental locations on Mission Bay in San Diego. They said that the 2 HP Suzuki was the most reliable engine they have every supported. One rental agency had 200 of them and not a one ever broke.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard