Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2017, 00:30   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Suspicious or common place? Filed engine identification tag

Possibly painted over at some time then someone has scraped the paint off to read the numbers and the unprotected parts have corroded.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 00:35   #17

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

I have dealt regularly with this on my current yacht restoration project. 27.5 meter yacht that was a wedding gift from Adolf Hitler to Hermann Goerring upon his second wedding in 1937. Trying to identify engines, injector fuel pumps, gearboxes, etc. after years of corrosion.

As has been previously stated, the numbers are stamped on the plate. Some of my best results have usually been accomplished by removing the label plate and looking at the reverse side and seeing the numbers stamped in reverse. Sometimes a scrubbing of the obverse side of the plate with a mixture of water and battery acid (90/10 mixture) yields decent results (but pretty much destroys the data plate in the process).

And I agree, check for previous surveys of the vessel. Might turn up some interesting information.

If you have a majority of the numbers/letters, contact the manufacturer and provide them the details of your motor and vessel. Have found that they sometimes actually have records pertaining to a specific motor, gearbox, or other equipment installed on a specific vessel as a result of past warranty work.

Following Valhalla360's line of thinking concerning criminal activity and others asking about the possibility of stealing a motor out of a sailboat... Think about it...stolen/salvaged from a hurricane damaged boat and then marginally rebuilt for a quick sale? Stolen from a derelict boat? Have seen stranger things...
Old 27-01-2017, 03:52   #18
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
I have dealt regularly with this on my current yacht restoration project. 27.5 meter yacht that was a wedding gift from Adolf Hitler to Hermann Goerring upon his second wedding in 1937. Trying to identify engines, injector fuel pumps, gearboxes, etc. after years of corrosion.

Wow that's a project with some provenance
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine