Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2012, 10:14   #1

Surely this is not right

As we all know, anything "marine" it is twice as expensive as its land counterpart. I ran across what maybe a great site for owners of vintage Yanmars such as my 1978 2QM15.

I breezed through the site: http://www.hoyetractor.com looking for a tractor of the same vintage as my 15 hp 2QM. Lo and behold, there is one. Problem is I can't get a fix on what the engine might look like so I ask send them a request:

Hi, just stumbled across your site from a sailing forum. It's a great resource.

I have a sailboat with a 2QM15, 2 cylinder 15 hp Yanmar from 1978. I'm assuming this is a marine version of a tractor engine. Do you have any knowledge of what the equivalent might be?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

The response time was less than 20 mins but the response was less satisfying:

It is my understanding that the tractor, industrial, and marine engines are all vastly different. I have never found anything that would interchange.

Finding this a bit hard to believe I say in return:

Ok, I can understand that the accessories such as water pumps, and electrics would be different but it's hard to imagine a manufacturer making three different 15 hp blocks, heads, etc that would all use different internals such as pistons and rings.

Sounds like Yanmar had enough resources to make extremely specialized engines from the ground up.

I'll suppose I will have to continue paying marine prices for valve cover gaskets, oil filters, and the like.

Seriously? The 2QM series were built as marine engines only and share no parts with other Yanmar models? I find that hard to believe.
Victoria BC
David W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 10:57   #2

Re: Surely this is not right

welcome to the wonderful world of Yanmar. Great product,, locked down supply..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:37   #3

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Don't even tell them its marine engine. Do your research ahead. Just give them a block number or whatever identifies the block. Say you bought it from a tractor but don't have the tractor number. They don't necessarily need to know the application if you're getting internal parts or block gaskets.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:12   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
Don't even tell them its marine engine. Do your research ahead. Just give them a block number or whatever identifies the block. Say you bought it from a tractor but don't have the tractor number. They don't necessarily need to know the application if you're getting internal parts or block gaskets.
+1. I've had this experience with other products and services (not engines yet)....with some vendors as soon as the word "boat" comes out of your mouth they go into a tail spin...even if your shopping for spoons. Can be very frustrating.

Life really should come with rewind button.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:31   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

David, from everything that I've heard or read about Yanmar, they enforce their franchise terms very tightly. If a Yanmar dealer advertises or ships outside of his specific franchise area? They'll get slapped by Yanmar, and if they keep doing it, they may lose their franchise.

So, yes, Yanmar prevents price competition and supports their franchisees. For better or worse, that's the way it goes. Your tractor supplier may simply be trying to stay out of trouble by giving you an excuse instead of saying "I'm not a marine market dealer and I'm not YOUR local dealer."
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote