Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2015, 09:12   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Suggestions for servicing unused diesel

Okay, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I admit, quite sheepishly, that I haven't been running my Yanmar 3GM30F for the last two years. It feels good to admit my guilt.I have no valid reasons for doing so. Sloth, neglect, and ignorance are part of my being. The engine has under 100 hours over the last six years and has only had a problem with the exhaust elbow, which was changed two years ago.

Okay, now on to the issue. There are no apparent issues with the engine since I last ran it, but I haven't started it so I can't be sure. Before turning it over, I plan to follow Alan Wheeler's Sticky notes to cover all the bases.

First, I intend to remove the injectors to be inspected. I will shoot some Corrosion X down to the cylinders and let it sit for a few days, then I will hand turn the engine to see if there are any stuck rings. Assuming no issues, I'l replace the injectors and see if the engine will start. I'll warm it up, then shut it down, after noting the temperature, oil pressure, check for water flow and for exhaust smoke. Then, I'll take an oil sample and send it off for evaluation.

Now, the plan will be to go through Alan Wheeler's maintenance list, inspecting and replacing stuff.

What would you suggest adding to this process? I have some degree of maintenance skills, and should I need assistance, I have resources to assist me. I may be pulling the engine at some time in the next six months, in anticipation of a series of extended cruises across the Pacific. I will be doing whatever touch up painting and service that is more easily done to some parts of the engine outside the boat. I have been distracted by several other external projects, so It's time to pay the piper for my indolence. Pulling the engine is not a big deal on my boat, hence the willingness to do this task. It will also give me a chance to clean up the engine room more completely and re align the engine prior to a pre cruise haulout to repaint and install a new centerboard. If the engine functions well in the initial phase, I'll drive the boat over to the yard to have the stick removed and reinstalled, after a rigging overhaul. Then I'll pull the engine. Inspecting the fuel tank will also be a part of the pre-haulout process.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:24   #2

Re: Suggestions for servicing unused diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Okay, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I admit, quite sheepishly, that I haven't been running my Yanmar 3GM30F for the last two years. It feels good to admit my guilt.I have no valid reasons for doing so. Sloth, neglect, and ignorance are part of my being. The engine has under 100 hours over the last six years and has only had a problem with the exhaust elbow, which was changed two years ago.

Okay, now on to the issue. There are no apparent issues with the engine since I last ran it, but I haven't started it so I can't be sure. Before turning it over, I plan to follow Alan Wheeler's Sticky notes to cover all the bases.

First, I intend to remove the injectors to be inspected. I will shoot some Corrosion X down to the cylinders and let it sit for a few days, then I will hand turn the engine to see if there are any stuck rings. Assuming no issues, I'l replace the injectors and see if the engine will start. I'll warm it up, then shut it down, after noting the temperature, oil pressure, check for water flow and for exhaust smoke. Then, I'll take an oil sample and send it off for evaluation.

Now, the plan will be to go through Alan Wheeler's maintenance list, inspecting and replacing stuff.

What would you suggest adding to this process? I have some degree of maintenance skills, and should I need assistance, I have resources to assist me. I may be pulling the engine at some time in the next six months, in anticipation of a series of extended cruises across the Pacific. I will be doing whatever touch up painting and service that is more easily done to some parts of the engine outside the boat. I have been distracted by several other external projects, so It's time to pay the piper for my indolence. Pulling the engine is not a big deal on my boat, hence the willingness to do this task. It will also give me a chance to clean up the engine room more completely and re align the engine prior to a pre cruise haulout to repaint and install a new centerboard. If the engine functions well in the initial phase, I'll drive the boat over to the yard to have the stick removed and reinstalled, after a rigging overhaul. Then I'll pull the engine. Inspecting the fuel tank will also be a part of the pre-haulout process.
Seriously?

Just shoot penetrating oil into the cylinders hand crank a few times and let it sit for a few days. Change oil, filters both gas and oil, then recirc fresh diesel with fuel conditioner and start it. Let it run until warm then change the oil and oil filter again and then run it for an extended period of time gradually increasing load until it's under full load for a long time.

Done
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I've started many engines that sat for years including diesels in mothballed ships. The big issue is the fuel. If the engine was dry, the rings, etc., are probably ok. It's better if the engine exhaust and intake is sealed. My current boat sat for 6 years. Detroit mains, Perkins and Onan generators. I added algae-x and enough new fuel to dilute the old fuel 50%. All the engines started right up. I changed the filters before a sea trial. I wanted the old filters to catch the majority of the gunk. They really didn't have much.
It helps to circulate the fuel before starting if you can temporally add an electric fuel pump. But I didn't do it with mine.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:00   #4

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Quit over thinking this. It's 24 months ferchrisakes. Make sure the batteries are up. Drain the water separator if there is one. Turn the key. Run it until the thermostat opens and then drop the oil and filter. Get on with life.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.travellingwithgeorge.blogspot.com
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:03   #5

Charge battery and start, why all the fuss? Maybe change the impeller before, oil after.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:10   #6

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Thanks folks! This is very reassuring.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:32   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27

Not the same knowledge as other posters here, but based on my entire collection of youthful indiscretions to date, the best thing you can do ahead of a cruise is to make sure the fuel tank is clean. Add a fuel polishing system and my thinking is that your fuel injector pump and injectors should also be happy for a very long time as well.

It's been my suspicion for many years now that diesels don't like dirty fuel
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 13:36   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

My engine has sat for close to seven years due to health issues. Testing suggests the rings are stuck, no compression to speak of in any of the 4 cylinders. Had the fuel tank cleaned, added some new diesel and on Monday will have injectors pulled and put Marvel Mystery Oil in all cylinders. Will let it sit a while, occasionally rotating the crank shaft and adding more MMO as needed. The mechanic swears by this and claims to have "fixed" several engines in the last few months by doing this.

We shall see, but there is nothing to lose since the alternative is a complete overhaul or new engine..lets see a few dollars worth of oil or $12K+ for a new engine Tough choice. If the engine does fire I'll have the injectors serviced, and chang all fluids and filters.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 13:54   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

to: cabo_sailor
If you really have very low compression it may not start. A block heater will help and this could be one of those times where a little ether would be good. Stuck rings sometimes leave small pits in the sleeve. You may use more oil and may get an oil sheen in your exhaust. However, after you run awhile, carbon will build behind the rings, push them out and may tighten the bore enough.
Pre-circulate the fuel if you can to purge old fuel from the lines. A fuel catalyst will also help.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 14:15   #10
Eternal Member

Lepke,

It cranks just fine. Just won't fire even with ether. Compression is below 150 psi. During recent refit drained old fuel and had tank cleaned. Twelve gallons new fuel. Fuel getting to injectors. As part of the refit I've spent roughly $25K, I didn't budget for basically a new engine.

I WANT TO GO SAILING!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-08-2015, 16:56   #11

Cabo_sailor,

In my experience your mechanic is probably right. If the engine ran fine before, Marvel will likely do the trick.

On old friend had a John Deere on his farm in Minnesota, and part of the spring ritual every year was to pull the plugs, MMO in the cylinders to sit. After a while we'd tie a snatchem strap to it and drag it around the yard with the newer White tractor, popping the clutch in 3rd gear until that old Deere rolled free. Plugs in, fresh charge on the battery, ether and vroom. Smoked for a while, but would soon settle down into sewing machine mode. Run that way until parked for the winter with a coffee can over the pipe.

Right, wrong or indifferent, it worked.

I hope you get her going and get out sailing!
Will-n-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:54   #12

cabo_sailor

Put some (a little) heavy weight oil (gear lube) in each cylinder. That will raise the compression so you can get her started.
Crabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:36   #13

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
My engine has sat for close to seven years due to health issues. Testing suggests the rings are stuck, no compression to speak of in any of the 4 cylinders. Had the fuel tank cleaned, added some new diesel and on Monday will have injectors pulled and put Marvel Mystery Oil in all cylinders. Will let it sit a while, occasionally rotating the crank shaft and adding more MMO as needed. The mechanic swears by this and claims to have "fixed" several engines in the last few months by doing this.

We shall see, but there is nothing to lose since the alternative is a complete overhaul or new engine..lets see a few dollars worth of oil or $12K+ for a new engine Tough choice. If the engine does fire I'll have the injectors serviced, and chang all fluids and filters.
Suggest you remove valve cover & check for stuck open valves also.
Cheers/Len
Old 09-08-2015, 09:16   #14
Eternal Member

Len,

Already checked valves. They appear fine. Will pull injectors tomorrow and add MMO.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-08-2015, 09:55   #15

Boat: various over the years

Before removing and replacing the injectors, ensure new replacement copper and graphite washers on hand, as well as new o-rings if present. (The old ones cannot be reused.) You also may need replacement copper sealing washers for the various fittings on the fuel injection system.

If an injector is stuck in its bore, loosen (but do not remove) the injector
hold down nuts. A quick bump of the starter will "pop" the injector loose.

The bottom washer may stay behind in the injector bore. It can be carefully hooked out with a bent sail needle. The remains of the old graphite washer must be completely cleaned off the injector before a new one is installed.

If the injectors are out, why not take the opportunity to have them rebuilt?

However, before messing with the injectors, try spraying some light oil
(3 in 1 variety) into the air intake while the engine is cranked. Enough of the oil may work its way into the cylinders to seal the rings.
ex-12m-guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel