Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2016, 10:23   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Stumped by waterpump

Could be a collapses hose (internal part) clogged sea strainer or a clogged port in the discharge elbow.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 10:26   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Good advice given but one more .... I once had a new impeller that had lost the bond between the rubber and the bushing, it looked good but the bushing would turn without turning the vanes.
Old 23-04-2016, 11:18   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I vote for an air leak. It's much easier to suck air than water. I've seen this issue with several engines and pumps. Even a pinhole air leak can stop pumping.
MY current impellers (2 Detroit mains, 2 generators, Perkins and Onan) are 5 years old.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 15:43   #19

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

For those of you that do not want to read any further, it's fixed. For the rest of you, here is the saga.

I took off the hose from the thru hull and the water flowed freely. I put the hose back and took the top off of the strainer, water flowed freely. Everything else is above the water line, so I put a hose from the washdown pump to the hose coming off of the strainer and water flowed freely all the way to the pump. Also there were no leaks between the strainer and the pump. But this was under pressure not suction. As it happens I have a small manual vacuum pump on board (I have Way too much stuff on this boat). So I found a fitting and put it into the end of the hose at the pump and pumped the hose full of water. When I stopped pumping the pressure held at -3.5 inches of Mercury (iM). This is about right as the end of the hose was about 40 inches above the water line. It held that vacuum for 10 minutes, so no leak in the intake system. So it must be the pump right. I plug the outlet and pull 25 iM vacuum on the pump. It holds!, no leak in the pump (hold that thought). I then put the vacuum pump on the outlet of the pump and pulled the prime all the way through the pump and into the outlet hose. It pumped what was in the pump and the outlet hose and stopped. I thought it must be the hose to pump connection, so I trimmed off an inch of hose to get on nice clean rubber. No change. put in another impeller and still no change. By this time i'm in insanity mode, that is repeating the same things over and over again expecting a different result. I tried disconnecting the outlet in case things were blocked on that end and still no change. It would empty the water out of the pump but that was it. It seemed it had to be a suction side air leak but the vacuum pump tests said no. I was talking to a friend of mine and he said maybe you have a bad bearing. It wasn't obvious, but that is what it ended up being. I took the pump apart and the shaft had about 1/32 of play radially. The bearing had indeed gone bad, even though it wasn't making any noise that I could hear. It so happened I had kept many of the parts to my old water pump when I replaced it with this one two years ago. The shaft and bearing assembly from that one had no play in it at all. I took the new pump hosing off the mount and put it on the old shaft/bearing. It now pumps water. Apparently that small amount of play caused an air leak at the shaft seal but only when at operational speed. The static testing showed no sign of it.

I suspect I might have the belt too tight and it caused the wear in the bearing. In any case I see a new pump in my near future but am operational for now.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 07:51   #20

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Thanks for the recap Bill.

That is helpful for us all.

Glad you are fully operational again.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 24-04-2016, 08:27   #21

Boat: Sceptre 41

Thanks for the description Bill. Good detective work.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 10:19   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

This is why there is the old saying "It works, don't touch it."

I'd have to suspect that the old impeller, being old and stiff, was actually acting AS a bearing, keeping itself and the shaft in the correct centered position. Replaced with a new impeller, which was more flexible, that allowed the wobbling shaft to misbehave.

A most unexpected situation and the kind of thing that drives even professional mechanics NUTS.

Kudos for resisting the temptation to simply get out a bigger hammer!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 12:51   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Thanks for posting the solution. One more thing to try to remember if I encounter a similar situation. I doubt I would have thought of that as the cause in 100 years.

By now I probably would have stripped the pump and replaced every part but the housing.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 13:57   #24

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Stumped by waterpump

Folks have bought new boats for less.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 14:03   #25

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
This is why there is the old saying "It works, don't touch it."

I'd have to suspect that the old impeller, being old and stiff, was actually acting AS a bearing, keeping itself and the shaft in the correct centered position. Replaced with a new impeller, which was more flexible, that allowed the wobbling shaft to misbehave.

A most unexpected situation and the kind of thing that drives even professional mechanics NUTS.

Kudos for resisting the temptation to simply get out a bigger hammer!
The old impeller broke off three vanes, it was not preventative maintenance.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 14:30   #26

Boat: Cal 31, 31.5'

Had exact same problem with my Oberdorfer seawater pump which is less than 1 yr old. My brother said to smear some cup grease on the inside of the cover plate. Started working fine. Apparently these things need to be 101% airtight or they won't prime.
Cal31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 14:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal31 View Post
Had exact same problem with my Oberdorfer seawater pump which is less than 1 yr old. My brother said to smear some cup grease on the inside of the cover plate. Started working fine. Apparently these things need to be 101% airtight or they won't prime.
You should also assure that the inside of the faceplate on that pump is flat, flat, flat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water