Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2010, 14:12   #1

Boat: Caliber 47 - Makai
Stuffing Box Tightening - Lock Nut Not Moving

Hello to everybody,
Our stuffing box on Makai is leaking a bit too much (around 12 drops a minute when the engine isn't running) and we're trying to tighten it. So far, we haven't been able to move the lock nut. With a wrench on both nuts, we held the adjusting nut and tried to turn the locknut clockwise to release it, without success. The nuts and box don't look corroded (see picture), yet he lock nut isn't moving. Any suggestions please?
Thank you!
Celine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20100926_164653.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	19608  
heraulc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 14:19   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
I have this monster big aluminum pipe wrench. Its comical how big it is. Usually I never need that much leverage. I like it cause its big light and will get around things. Any way Id almost sware that the packing nut and locking nut are scewed (sp) thats a word maybe straight in line look bentlike not threaded straight onto the fitting. it looks like there is lots of thread maybe too much and everything is just barely crosss threaded on. could it be they backed off and are leaking because they are just barely holding on. Sorry for the italics don't know how to undo that. Id be concerned because it looks like it all at an angle not straight maybe Im wrong.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 14:22   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Try a bit of Ospho or other such acidic cleaner. After dry, use a bit of penetrating oil, then hold the lock nut while loosening the packing nut.
Old 26-09-2010, 14:26   #4

Can't tell looked at it again but the shaft looks way out of line and I want to use that scewed word maybe its the picture. If it is all scewed then check the engine mounts and see can you adjust the alignment. Maybe the shaft is out of line and putting pressure on the packing and lock nut.
Old 26-09-2010, 14:33   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraulc2 View Post
Hello to everybody,
Our stuffing box on Makai is leaking a bit too much (around 12 drops a minute when the engine isn't running) and we're trying to tighten it. So far, we haven't been able to move the lock nut. With a wrench on both nuts, we held the adjusting nut and tried to turn the locknut clockwise to release it, without success. The nuts and box don't look corroded (see picture), yet he lock nut isn't moving. Any suggestions please?
Thank you!
Celine
I'm not trying to be funny but are you turning the locknut the right way. I always get confused and to make sure I turn it the right way I have marked the hull using a magic marker with two arrows showing which way to loosen the locknut. One arrow for locknut direction and one for the stuffing box. I have two short wrenches (from a model T tool kit) that I got in the flea market in Ft. Lauderdale. Yours doesn't look that bad. As for clockwise, it depends on where you're positioned, whether you're forward of the box or aft of it.

Looking at your picture and approaching it from this side (the bottom of the picture) the locknut should go down (twds the bottom of the pic)and the box should go up to loosen. I think I've got this right.
Old 26-09-2010, 14:59   #6

try tapping the lock nut with a hammer some times the corrosion under it will prevent it from moving. don't pound on it just raps so you don't distort it. if your in the water heat won't work. if out just use a propane torch on top at the lock nut then tap and it should loosen. to protect glass around box put down some pieces of glass cloth on either side, but you really should not need it.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 15:23   #7
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraulc2 View Post
Hello to everybody,
Thank you!
Celine
I am having the same issue on my 36' Hunter. Here is a great link, and should make it clear about which way to turn the nuts.Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

I will try PB Blaster and buy a pipe wrench I guess? I have 2 of the small wrenches as shown in the link.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 16:22   #8

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"
When in doubt about direction,put a fingernail into the thread and move it in the direction that takes it away from the nut.The nut will rotate the same way to come off.
On a tough nut use two wrenches close together with a pry bar between them to lever it loose.

Phil
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 16:39   #9
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i think counter clockwise will loosen the inside lock nut. then you can turn the main nut clockwise to take it off and replace stuffing. that's the way it works on my caliber 33. this is if you are facing towards the bow from rear of engine compartment.
Old 26-09-2010, 16:43   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
if you hurt/damage the shaft log behind that packing gland, if there is one there, you will have many problems you donot want to have. spray the nut with pb blaster. wd 40 or your anti corrosive of choice. wait . make sure you are not gonna sink when lots of water gushes into your boat--- fix. repack and return to normal.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 17:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i think counter clockwise will loosen the inside lock nut. then you can turn the main nut clockwise to take it off and replace stuffing. that's the way it works on my caliber 33.towards the bow from rear of engine compartment.
Facing forward no the lock nut needs to go counter to back off the packing nut then you go counter to tighten the packing and bring the lock nut up to the gland clockwise. I have never seen these reverse thread.
Looking aft it would be otherwise Lefty loosey your tightening in a right hand clockwise motion. Thus the locking nut is turned clockwise while sitting on the floor looking aft the packing gland is tightened in the same way to pressure the packing and the lock nut is then counter turned to lock in against the packing nut. I can't do this looking fwd with dyslexia and I cant face forward and do this. Glad to say Im wrong but with my disabilty I double check these things. Clockwise looking aft on the locking nut seperates clockwise looking aft tightens the packing counter clockwise looking aft sets the lock nut
Old 26-09-2010, 17:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Facing forward no the lock nut needs...turned clockwise while sitting on the floor looking ...then counter turned to lock in against...dyslexia
Ouch. These are painful descriptions. For threads use the old-fashioned hand rule:

Common threads are right-handed. Using your right hand, curl your fingers and stick out your thumb. The screw or nut will move in the direction your thumb is pointing when the screw or nut is turned in the direction your fingers are pointing.

Simple. And you can do it upside down in a bilge.

Now all you need to remember is if the packing gland is reverse threaded or not....I doubt it. Philsboat has the tip for that above.

For that rare left-handed thread, like on some gas fittings, use your left hand.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 17:41   #13

I know it hurt me too I really am extremely dyslexic so i have to work everything through like that. Its a apart of me now. In some way its good because i go over and over every choice and then its just plain painful as I have to check myself. Sorry
Old 26-09-2010, 17:46   #14
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Click image for larger version

Name:	packing nut.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	19620

As the link I provided says, move wrenches towards each other to loosen. In this case you are sitting on the transmission, looking aft.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 17:53   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
If you don't have room to swing a big wrench, take a hammer and cold chisel and beat on the locknut to turn it. It works, and even if it doesn't, it makes you feel better.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote